Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Constraints between orthogonal planes

rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
When a constraint is applied between two planes a scalar projection like displaystyle a_bleftmathbf a rightcos theta is used, right?. 
Is there a way to constraining, say an equal length, between orthogonal planes?
I don't want to use feature scripts.
What I seek is a way to constrain a line length on top plane to have the same MAGNITUDE/NORM (absolute value) as a line on the front plane. 
Same goes for circles and splines.  

I know there are workarounds: 1. a feature script for 'reading lengths' 2. assigning a variable 3. telling that it's the wrong way. 4. Asking for a 'improvement request'

Example: A horizontal line A on top plane (sketch1). We want a horizontal line on the front plane (sketch2) to be of the same length.  
The intuitive way would be to simply make an equal constraints between two lines ,but no, its not possible. 
What I can do is
step1: make a vertical construction line on sketch 1, which I (strangely enough) can make equal to the horizontal line (because in sketches despite the logic of scalar projections, allows equal constraints to mean: same norm. 
step2: project that construction line to sketch 2.
step3: constrain my vertical line on sketch 2 to the projected line.
Besides being 2 operations  too much for something so simple, this doesn't work with circles etc. 

If that is really the only way it slips my engineering mind why, having implemented and invariant projection in the sketches, this haven't been implemented as an option as a projection between sketches. It shouldn't require more than a few lines of code to implement the 'Equal' constraint variant as being 'Equal norm' !

Have I missed something?

Comments