Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Chrome browser - Hardware Acceleration must be enabled for Onshape?

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
My experiments (trying to speed up a glacially slow Chrome installation on one of my Windows machines, running Win 7x64)
seem to suggest that WebGL relies on Hardware Acceleration being enabled (Chrome browser: Settings/Advanced)

Whenever I disable it, my Onshape documents fail to open.

So for those of us for whom hardware 'acceleration' actually causes a drastic slowdown of Chrome, (as it quite commonly seems to, judging by Google threads), we apparently have to choose between two unpalatable alternatives.

Please correct me if I have this wrong: I would love to be able to resolve this.

Comments

• Options
    robert_williams570robert_williams570 Member Posts: 2
    I too have experienced unacceptably slow performance..  
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Hardware acceleration is needed.  If you type in chrome://gpu you can see the status.  If you are unable to get things running, please hit the ? menu -> Feedback to send in a ticket and we can look further into the issue.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    RiftRift OS Professional Posts: 7
    I'm curious if there was ever a resolution for this? I am having exactly the same problem with the exception that it is only happening on battery power for me. Whenever I unplug my laptop from the wall chrome gets horribly laggy and in turn so does onshape. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes this however I can then no longer load onshape.

No combination of settings has fixed this for me yet.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,391
    @Rift sounds like your laptop may be switching to onboard graphics when you go on battery power. Typically these graphics chips are only good for basic display tasks and no good for any kind of 3D apps. You should be able to set your graphics card in your laptop settings somewhere. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    edited February 2017
    @Rift Neil is perhaps correct here.  If you do have a dedicated and an embedded graphics card, there are controls usually provided by the graphics companies to force an application to always use the dedicated graphics card - for example if you are a windows user, the nVidia control panel will allow you to set the preference for each application - in your case you can set Chrome to always use the dedicated or high performance card.
  • Options
    Hey guys I thought the exact same thing at first however I have selected my Nvidia GPU as the video card to use when I use chrome within the nvidia control panel which doesn't seem to effect anything. Also attempted to change on board settings for the intel chip but no change =/
  • Options
    @Rift With the laptop running on battery, go here and paste the results of our check page:  https://cad.onshape.com/check
  • Options
    Attached are some screen grabs of the results plugged in and on battery. The overall performance on battery is much lower according to this. First pic is battery second one is plugged in.
  • Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 198
    @Rift, This is addressed in our help documentation : https://cad.onshape.com/help/#webgl.htm?Highlight=webgl . See the additional information resources at the bottom. Check out the link: http://alteredqualia.com/texts/optimus/ 
  • Options
  • Options
    @pete_yodis Interesting looking at this right now. I found the battery boost feature but no options yet. Digging further.
  • Options
    @pete_yodis This did it!!!!!! I can't tell you how frustrating this was!!! Disabling the battery boost feature has removed all the lag I was experiencing.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Rift A hearty thanks to one of our graphics developers.  He zeroed in on it quickly.  
  • Options
    Whomever he is be sure to pass on my sincere gratitude on this one!