Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Any work around method to insert radial text in sketch

viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
Hi,
Many products contain the text in radial direction such as round rubber stamps, coins, Ball bearing faces, sheet metal and cast parts etc. So, with the availability of provision of radial text, user can design such parts easily. Can anyone suggest any workaround to insert radial text in Onshape. Below image show the option available in text option of Pro-E.

With warm regards,
viru

Best Answer

Answers

• pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @viru You could place one letter at a time.  One letter, one extrude, then do the next letter.  A series of sketches and extrudes with each letter being on a line that is tangent to the circle..
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @pete_yodis and @andrew_troup for your suggestion.I gone through both of your suggestion and implemented and find result as shown as below.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I was thinking same methods earlier today but I thought it's too difficult to update say a part number if written letter by letter.. For logos or such this is decent workaround. 

Text functionality should be improved by following a 2d curve or curved surface or both. 
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:
    I was thinking same methods earlier today but I thought it's too difficult to update say a part number if written letter by letter.. For logos or such this is decent workaround. 

Text functionality should be improved by following a 2d curve or curved surface or both. 
    +1 Ability for text to follow a 2d Curve.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
     @3dcad
    You're right, it's tedious if all the letters need to be edited. If it's a sequence of part numbers, I guess it's marginally do-able, because only one or two digits would require replacement in many cases. (It's still quicker and easier than engraving part numbers with a toolmaker's pantograph!)

I guess it's not usually essential that part numbers be 'bent', but if they were:

I would definitely use viru's method rather than mine in this case, as it would permit sizing the replacement letter simply by snapping. One snap from the midpoint of the baseline to the intersection of the radial line with the base circle, one snap from the midpoint of the topline to the top circle.

To fix the orientation angle would however still require a (coincident) constraint between the latter midpoint and the radial line.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I've used sketch text following a curve method many times in SW's. One that comes to mind is a cast hub with part number about the back face, it would be a pain to do it this way but at least now we have text.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977