Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - August 6, 2015

2»

Comments

• Options
    imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    @traveler_hauptman  thanks mate.... one of these providing FEA????

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Yes, Lou, please reinstate the improvement request.
     thanks
    It will show up as me as the suggester.  Can you @andrew_troup re-submit it as Constraint Manager and list the details and I will attach that to our constraint project.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    ivan_9ivan_9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Lou, thanks for the great improvements! You guys keep on impressing big time. Just one question, when inserting a 'derived part', I assume that the position of the part is the same as in the original part studio (x, y, z). It would be very helpful if part of the process included selecting reference points in order to place the derived part nicely - just like what's being used for mate connectors.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited August 2015
    ivan-I think it would be more than nice to position a derived part after insertion. I would say derived parts are useless until they have a transformation associated with them. OS can add 'mate connector' to their transformations dialog box. I want both translations & rotations to occur in one 'mate connector' transform definition. 

Using multiple transform methods and keying in rotation angles and translation values isn't acceptable.

In fact, every derived (whatever) will have a transformation associated with it, so just put it in the derived method. The transformation should always be part of the derived method.

I was excited about the "derived" enhancement thinking I could now create a layout in OS using a part studio. 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    billy
    Eloquently put. 
    +1 for every paragraph

And I would make one of your points even more explicit, for the avoidance of doubt: the reason  "multiple transform methods and keying in rotation angles and translation values" isn't acceptable is not solely because it's laborious:

it's because the result is essentially dead, where it frequently needs to be very much alive
    (in the sense of, adapting to changes to model dimensions etc)
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would like to see derived parts so that you create mate connectors for main part and derived, then when you select the part to 'import' it would come in moving with mouse pointer until you select mate connector to attach.

Hole tool (and maybe extrude too) should have option to automatically create mate connector which would speed up deriving dowels, bolts, washers and other fasteners.
    //rami
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad
    I think I agree.
    It will take a number of thought experiments to be sure (as much as one ever can be about the future)... but I certainly see a strong case for the mate connector paradigm to be greatly extended and enhanced.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @andrew_troup
    Isn't it easy to be on this side of development, just throw ideas in and let someone else decide if they are useful or not  B)
    //rami
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    This is a great set of updates. Hole feature, materials, and mate limits?!?!?! Frickin awesome...