Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Microsoft Edge

pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
What is the position of Onshape with Microsoft Edge?  I am using it now in Windows 10 (same as @burhop).  Onshape seems to function well for the most part.  I did notice some graphics artifacts with elements of sketches not showing correctly.  Should we submit issues when we see them in Edge??

Comments

• Options
    oops.  Sorry I just saw the post on the view cube in Edge.  I will wait and use Firefox in the meantime.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @pete_yodis We are doing extensive testing on the new Edge browser in Windows 10.  In the initial release we found too many browser-specific bugs that we cannot yet add it to the supported list.  Hopefully Microsoft will iterate on it and we will continue to test it.  When it makes the cut, we will let everyone know.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Thanks @lougallo Always nice to have more competition in the browser wars.  Firefox has been good to me so far.
  • Options
    burhopburhop Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    @pete_yodis  I was just playing around with the Edge Browser when I upgraded.  I was surprised it worked.

I"m still sticking to Chrome for the most part but I must say the Edge Browser is a HUGE improvement over Interent Explorer.  I like the Javascript debugging better than chrome.

Generally, Windows 10 has been a nice improvement (over Windows 8.1).  I expect I'll like it better than Windows 7 once they beat down some of the new release bugs.I got tickled when my Samsung started making me respond in Chinese after I upgraded it :smiley: 

• Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Any updated on Edge Support? I just got a new Laptop with Windows 10 and haven't had the need to install Chrome would be nice to keep it that way.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    really? there is a want for edge?
    hmm..

:p 
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    really? there is a want for edge?
    hmm..

:p 
    It works really nice on a touch screen and Windows Ink
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Keep windows on the desktop.

Edge, that's gross.

Microsoft Cloud? it's an oxymoron. 

This is my opinion,  I don't do Windows.

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2017
    More seriously Adrian and before I suffer a million slung arrows in my back.

Microsoft has a long history of not complying with internet standards and wants to define how the cloud works. They are way behind and trying to catch up.

They have actionscript which is a knockoff of javascript and the reason why javascript is controlled by a european entity called ecma. They've done some good as "innerhtml" was defined by them and everyone uses it instead of inserting into the DOM. Programming interfaces to include microsoft requires way too many conditional statements:

if (microsoft) do it this way; else like everyone else; 

Recently they seem to be supporting the cloud and offer up solutions to using angularJS, mongo, bootstrap and are trying to convince web developers to believe they are in the game too. They realize the ship has left the dock and they're trying to catch up.

Microsoft sql has a desktop version & a web version and they're not compatible. They say it works both on the desktop & cloud but don't tell you that you have to re-code & re-compile to switch from desktop to cloud.

Also, what I find frustrating is their insistence that sharing files on the cloud is "cloud" computing. Give me a true cloud version office 360 or stay on the desktop.

I should get back to work,