Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch fillet doesn't select

thomas_holfordthomas_holford Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
I'm trying to put a rounded corner on a rectangular extrude using the Sketch fillet operation in sketch.  Contrary to what the pop-up help message says, the sketch fillet operation does not recognize or select the corner of my sketch.

Is there some trick to getting the function to select within sketch?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might have to reload your browser tab. If that doesn't work, try holding Shift down while reloading it.
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @thomas_holford if you already have a solid body (Extruded) you have to use the fillet feature in Parts Studio not in sketch, this one is to fillet sketches 2D only.

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    or you can add a fillet to the sketch after creating the Extruded solid  ....  but to do this, you have to "Edit Sketch" for the sketch the extrude is based on.
  • Options
    Well, yes.  That is what I eventually figured out.

So, in other words, the Sketch fillet function ISN'T working.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2015
    Works OK for me. I can select either the node or two lines as expected. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    @thomas_holford what browser are you using ?
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • Options
    nav said:
    @thomas_holford what browser are you using ?
    I'm using Chrome on Windows.  I also use a Chromebook, and I'll check and see if anything is different.
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @thomas_holford  You can also check if your Java version is updated fully.
  • Options

Works OK for me. I can select either the node or two lines as expected. brucebartlett said:
    Well, I can't delete this comment box, and I can't put my comment in the comment area.  And I'm not brucebatlett.  So I don't know what to tell you.
  • Options

Works OK for me. I can select either the node or two lines as expected.
  • Options
    Well, yes.  That is what I eventually figured out.

So, in other words, the Sketch fillet function ISN'T working.
    Assuming you were replying to me, in the first sentence:
    It isn't working outside of Sketches.
    Nor will it ever do so: It's not intended to.
  • Options
    The quote function for this forum seems to me screwed up.  So, I'm commenting on brucebartlett:

I have figured out that my sketch didn't contain any lines.  The rectangle I was trying to select was the face of the extrude which defined the sketch plane.  But it is not included as part of the sketch.

By drawing a rectangle that traced the outline of the extrude, I was able to select two lines that defined a corner for the Sketch fillet operation.

HOWEVER:  When I closed the sketch, the corner of the extrude was retained and the body of the extrude was deleted.  This is probably because the extrude function which was tied to the sketch was for a remove operation to create holes.
  • Options
    My trick for using the quote function without getting stranded in cyperspace is to type in some text as a 'placeholder' below the quoted message before I do anything fancy, even just inserting a carriage return ("Enter") and certainly before using the Delete key.

If you don't take this precaution and you lose that precious white space after the quote, it seems to requires a PhD in computer science, majoring in html, to recover any semblance of a post. 
  • Options
    In Onshape terms (as in most other modellers) the term "sketch" is reserved for linework created by the user rather than the application, listed in the Feature list as a "Sketch"

There should be a sketch further up the tree driving the Extrude:Add which created your solid body:
    Perhaps we could help if you posted a link to the model you're struggling with.

This is as simple as "Copy the URL and paste it into a post"
  • Options

Perhaps we could help if you posted a link to the model you're struggling with.

This is as simple as "Copy the URL and paste it into a post"
    Just made it public.

The project name is "Ramp 6 x 48".  Is this enough to find the document?

In any case, the URL is:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/931da2d93b834469a68d5716/w/28a85afd4c7a4e0b98523250/e/54f26dfb486d4849a282e379
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited August 2015
    My trick for using the quote function without getting stranded in cyperspace is to type in some text as a 'placeholder' below the quoted message before I do anything fancy, even just inserting a carriage return ("Enter") and certainly before using the Delete key.

If you don't take this precaution and you lose that precious white space after the quote, it seems to requires a PhD in computer science, majoring in html, to recover any semblance of a post. 
    Quick lesson:
    Open html editor from button < / >
    Look for "<blockquote class="Quote">" - that is where quote begins.
    Quote ends to "</blockquote>". You can add plain text before / after that block directly to html editor (just add few letters as placeholder) and then turn html editor off and you have again white space above/below quote where you can write your post.

//rami