Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to dimension the length of a contiguous series of sketch lines and arcs?

ryan_thistleryan_thistle Member Posts: 4 PRO
Hi all,

I've got a fringe-case issue I was wondering if anyone else has solved.  I need to rout coax in a product and I plan do do that with a sweep of the coax diameter along sketches that define the rout.  The thing is, I need to do this for 16 coax and they all need to be the same length.  For my routing sketches, is there any way to dimension or set equal-length relations to an entire rout, not just the straight line sections of it?  Each rout is a series of sketch lines and sketch arcs.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Comments

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @billy2 posted here about Cabling Feature Script.  Not direct answer to your question but pretty cool if you have not seen.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @ryan_thistle, that is functionality that I greatly miss from SolidWorks.  With individually addressable dimension it was easy to define the last segment of the path as a predefined cable length minus the sum of all the other segments in that path.

I have no idea how to do this in Onshape.  I hope that someone offers a clever solution.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @matthew_stacy & @ryan_thistle, you can do something similar using the Measure Value FS. It will let you store as a variable the total length of multiple line segments using the Perimeter option. You can then use that length to adjust a final segment length. Mind you, this only works if the final segment is a line or an arc. I don't believe any other types of line segment (conic, spline) support direct length dimensions.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    You can dimension the length of a spline if that helps. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    You can dimension the length of a spline if that helps. 
    Funny, I missed that. I tried doing it the same way as it's done for an arc, but 3 clicks is obviously unnecessary ¯\_(ツ)_/¯