Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Beyond system limits - imported DXF

mauricio_bremermauricio_bremer Member Posts: 6
I converted a logo I was sent in PNG to DXF using an online service. After importing the DXF and trying to use it in a sketch I get the "This operation can not complete because it creates geometry that is beyond the system limit" message and can't really do anything with it. 

I've tried importing the DXF in different part studios with different workspace units with the same issue. 

Is there any way to resize the DXF or the sketch or any workaround to extrude this DXF?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    That error means the DXF is bigger than 1km. On the DXF import dialog there is an option to set the units - try a smaller unit size. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    mauricio_bremermauricio_bremer Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2021
    NeilCooke said:
    That error means the DXF is bigger than 1km. On the DXF import dialog there is an option to set the units - try a smaller unit size. 
    Hi Neil, thanks for the reply, but I've tried with all the units available with no luck, even in a new part studio.

Is there any way I could scale the DXF inside the sketch in onshape or something to bypass this?

I tried scaling the JPG directly and converting it again to DXF and I got it working. The problem is it lost a lot of detail (in the conversion I'm guessing). I would rather scale the sketch I had from the oversized one if possible. 

Thanks in advance ;)
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    How are you converting it? Does the converter have any size options?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    martin_dangermartin_danger Member Posts: 9
    I'm running into the same issue. Have tried the options above without luck.
    I generate a NACA airfoil profile using http://airfoiltools.com/ and export it as .SVG. The maximum dimension is 125mm.
    I use an online converter to make it .DXF.
    I import it using millimetres as unit and add it to sketch. 
    The sketch imports but when I view it, it is huge and when I try to add it to a sketch, the profile appears along with a multitude of random looking points very far away from the profile itself. 
    Here's the imported DXF https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f3ca5e41b660e63ee963f9b5/w/5cd3dbd755eb102206bc4519/e/a36874ab6e496f2e16bffd0d
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    @martin_danger
     I have found that online converters usually make a mess of a .svg file, usually, they make half a zillion points, however, it doesn't look like that is the issue in this case but rather something odd with the unit possibly?
     Your best option is something like Inkscape which is able to output a true .dxf.
     There are other programs out there that do quite well with converting .svgs to .dxfs from what I understand, however, I'll assume your like me and don't care to lay out the money for them.  
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,498 PRO
    I've seen something similar before, I think some DXF generators try to use "arcs" to represent slight curves and end up making things with huge radius and that results in centerpoints of arcs being all over the place far away from the actual model.

I agree these online converters are mostly crap... I second Inkscape as a good piece of software for this.
  • Options
    daniel_johnsen167daniel_johnsen167 Member Posts: 3
    @martin_danger
     I have found that online converters usually make a mess of a .svg file, usually, they make half a zillion points, however, it doesn't look like that is the issue in this case but rather something odd with the unit possibly?
     Your best option is something like Inkscape which is able to output a true .dxf.
     There are other programs out there that do quite well with converting .svgs to .dxfs from what I understand, however, I'll assume your like me and don't care to lay out the money for them.  

I had this exact problem, every online converter just makes a mess. Downloading Inkscape solved ALL my issues. I simply just upload pictures/svgs to Inkscape and convert that way. Thank you!
  • Options
    shuswap_patshuswap_pat Member Posts: 11
    I have used INKSCAPE to convert various files back and forth.  It works well to create SVG files for the Shaper Tool - handheld CNC Router.