Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ultimate collaboration Onshape community project

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @owen_sparks
    I have added you to the team as it appears that you have too much time to hang on forums.. =);)
    //rami
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    3dcad said:
    @owen_sparks
    I have added you to the team as it appears that you have too much time to hang on forums.. =);)
    Thanks @3dcad

In a sea of madness talking to like-minded folks on this forum a couple of times a day keeps me sane. :s

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a sketch for the layout and a couple parts to concept.

The parts I did are out of sheet metal (since I am a sheet metal guy)

I would create the front fender using a bump bend technique at the press brake. (flat laser cut)

Instead of using tube for the main portion of the swing arm I constructed it out of 3 parts that would be laser cut and bent at the press brake to create the tube look. (did this on a previous project).

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/86337c4030f19db4931f9303/w/be7bf019ed4dcda086517304/e/279f6a6f34a13f92255660ad

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    Doing some concept designs and to keep in the collaboration spirit, I searched the Onshape public documents and found some cool models to add to keep things going.

To go with the tires, front fender,and swing arm I drew in Onshape I found a front supension desinged by Robert Giguere and a rear shock designed by Edward Fenton. 

My next big search is for an electric motor and battery. If there is a public one let me know.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    It's been nearly 3 years since the last post in this thread.  Is there any interest in pursuing this project?  I'm looking for a project to collaborate on.  Sure would be great to develop an electric supercross bike to turn the industry upside down the same way Doug Henry and Yamaha did with the YZ400 when four strokes supplanted the two strokes.

Alta Motors almost succeeded with their Redshift, but unfortunately went belly up before turning a profit.

Realistically, my primary objective is to learn how to leverage Onshape's phenomenal collaboration tools.  Typically I'm working as a team-of-one and don't get to exercise those capabilities.

@bryan_lagrange how's things down in Lafayette?  I spent a good bit of time at Bayou Pipe Coating in New Iberia some years back.  I love that area.
  • Options
    I'm in @matthew_stacy

I am with you on wanting to use this project to learn and leverage Onshape's collaboration tools. I am also a team of one.

If we could get enough interest and participation for this project it might work. I think to start would be to agree on a master sketch and then divide and conquer sub assemblies.  

Our current user group meetings have been virtual so some of us have experience meeting at designated dates and times on Zoom.

It's been up and down in Lafayette. We started the year of great but then Covid hit and it's been a roller coaster ride. Currently for us our cutting (laser, water jet, and plasma) and press brake bending work is up but the fabrication side is down.

@matthew_stacy where are you currently residing and how are things on your end?
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @bryan_lagrange and any other interested folks, I propose working through a really simple example to develop our collaborative-design skills before get too fixated on The Ultimate Project (whatever that may be).

Right now I'd like to get in a bit more practice with some of these nifty tools that Onshape provides:
    • document sharing
    • branching/merging/versioning
    • commenting features
    • screen follow
    • ... and numerous others that we may not even know about yet.
    I started the crudest of models for a scissor jack (Northern Tool & Equipment, Item# 46212).  Anyone that would care to join this exercise is more than welcome.  I need your email address to assign document sharing privileges.

There is a photograph in one of the tabs for this document.  Primary components are crudely blocked out in the Part Studio and there is an Assembly tab as well.  The lead-screw is in a separate document.

Holler if you would like to participate.  Maybe we'll learn how many teams-of-one it takes to make a team.

Regards,

-Matt
    matthew.g.stacy@outlook.com
  • Options
    NizzeNizze Member Posts: 6
    As someone who just finished my education as a CAD-designer/Mechanical Designer and jobbhunting, in these hard times, I would gladly like to participate in a collaborative project. As I live in Gotheburg, Sweden, where Volvo (based in Gothenburg) has dismissed 1300 engineers and canceled a lot of their sub-contractor contracts, its hard for me to get a job as there is a lot more senior engineers son the market. 

I feel that I need to do something so that my skills in CAD in general degrade. I don't have musch experience with motorcycles but home that I can contribute in some way.   
  • Options
    @Nizze, I need your email address to assign document sharing privileges. Mine is listed in the footer of the preceding message in this thread. 
  • Options
    @matthew_stacy just sent you my e-mail to sign me up.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Done √
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great to see this thing is still alive. I've been way too busy for hobby cad projects with the company growing and me learning to ride real-life motorcycles properly in my freetime (I have dived into trials and hard-enduro).

@matthew_stacy I feel you on the Alta case.. supercross and enduro sprint could be one of the first to take over with electric motor - but I think trials will be even before that. I've already seen trials bikes with proper clutch and fly wheel with electric engine. But something major needs to happen in battery department before we see e-motors in 4+hour hard-enduro races or dual-sport / adventure bikes. I have Ktm Freeride E-xc in my fleet and while it has it's short comings it is still pretty awesome!
    //rami
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    @3dcad maybe someone will announce something meaningful on the battery front this afternoon...
  • Options
    @romeograham , standing by with bated breath to see how much Tesla reveals today.  The grapevine is rumbling about a larger form factor (5-10x volumetric increase over the existing Ø21 x 70mm), tabless electrodes, and perhaps even Maxwell's dry electrodes.  Probably much more.

Go RoadRunner!
  • Options
    Something like this would be cool: 

https://grabcad.com/library/2018-surron-light-bee-1

What do you think @matthew_stacy
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @byran_lagrange, that looks cool as hell!
  • Options
    @matthew_stacy Here is a link to a doc. I was thinking if we could get some base dimensions on a master sketch we could then move onto components. I pulled the dimensions from an image found on the internet, so nothing set in stone here, just a starting point. I think this would be the best first step option.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57e1def9ae11fc114fba0e28/w/c3d84717e546adb84412834d/e/7c7131cbe87ece1740ebff21

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @bryan_lagrange I'm game.  The master sketch seems like a logical starting point to play with basic chassis geometry (wheelbase, rake, trail, and suspension travel.  If you want to go ahead and share the document, please add me (matthew.g.stacy@outlook.com).

Also lay out any over-riding design goals that you would like to pursue here.  Is the LC8 it just for inspiration?  Or something that you'd like to mimic?

• Options
    LC8 is mostly for inspiration. 
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    I want to also say this collaboration is open to any and every one using Onshape.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    joshua_davis740joshua_davis740 Member Posts: 6 EDU
    I think this will be a great learning opportunity for us who are new to onshape

• Options
    @joshua_davis740, I can add you to the document, just send an e-mail
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    joshua_davis740joshua_davis740 Member Posts: 6 EDU
    Ok, will do, and if you are feeling skeptical about my On-shape skills, i have some images of my car project in progress (40% done)
  • Options
    Very impressive @joshua_davis740
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @joshua_davis740 I went with a split tank concept to start to go with the rim you designed.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @joshua_davis740 @matthew_stacy I started on the a concept for the frame.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @matthew_stacy @joshua_davis740 one more item added to the frame for today.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57e1def9ae11fc114fba0e28/w/fa0b8ce2454bfa01e965c528/e/f7634fd40208fec4754cfcc5

By the way everyone is welcome to join in. Just message me your e-mail address.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @matthew_stacy, @joshua_davis740 I started messing with a swing arm design. 

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    davin_tjandradavin_tjandra Member Posts: 2
    Hey Bryan and everyone, It's Davin from GrabCAD, thank you for adding me up, my email is davintjan@gmail.com

A little bit about myself, I got a mechanical engineering diploma and currently working on my bachelor's degree. I got some experience in electric bicycles, the super mileage car, and I am a big motorbike fan (mostly japstyle bobber and cafe racer), and heaps of experience using 3d modeling software and FEM FEA software as Inventor, Solidworks, Fusion, and ANSYS. I hope I can help and learn something from this project !!

But I got a few questions for this projects:

- Are we still on the concept design, or are we in the process of determining which type of motor and controller to use?
    - What are the guidelines of this project, do you guys prefer to use standard items with standard dimensions on the market, or can we design something totally new?
    - What is the desirable top speed, battery capacity, acceleration, torque? I have seen on the first page that the desired power is 100 kW and 100 Nm torque, is that still the scope?
    - What is the workflow here, do we have to do everything on onshape, or can I import some parts that I made from different software??
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited May 2021
    A little late to this post, but have you guys considered a "hubless" design? You're modeling it from scratch in Onshape anyway, wouldn't take much more work. To do it right, it would need very large thin bearings.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎