Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Ultimate collaboration Onshape community project

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @brucebartlett Currently available e-motor can do just about an hour of motocross/enduro, but I think we should still go this way and develop one with range of 10hours / 1000kms =)
    //rami
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took some time this weekend to get more proficient with Onshape. I created an exoskeleton around the engine I uploaded. I am learning how to use multi body features in onshape and use imported data. Feel free to take what I have drawn and add and modify. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I thought I'd start a layout sketch on the side view of the bike. For refer I have added some side pic's.

I just tried dropping a picture behind the imported frame to get a size. I found it very slow to move around, almost to the point of impossible. First picture I tried in a different doc worked find. Maybe the size of the picture has an impact. I'd be interested if others can control the position of the picture better than me. Its in the frame ktm tab.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    edited October 2015
    Bruce, No problems on viewing or editing sketch for me (chromebook).. 

It is not the easiest task to get the first iteration of the frame properly done.. I would love to work more on this but I don't have enough time during day and in the evening I'm too tired to think hard enough.. feel free to edit the sketch I started for frame (or create new ones around that steering tube). I took dimensions/placement/angle for steering tube from that ktm frame and origin should be the point for connecting rear fork.
    Ktm 990 has great geometry so that should be nearly fine for us too. 

//rami
  • magret_doseymagret_dosey Member Posts: 4
    The fins could switched to an aluminum alloy to reduce some weight. The fins also can be removed and changed with a half disc shape to have a round bottom. 

I thought would also be cool is if you could make the fins out of hard wood to give a great contrast with the metal rod and hex nuts.
    Did some quick sketching to see where the design could go.
    Bryan Lagrange

Let's see if we can get this party started again. I personally have had little time to work on this project but now that holiday season is here it looks like I might have some time to work on it and explore more of Onshape. With all the creative models I have seen here in the forum I would love to have new contributors join the existing group of designers to bring new perspective to this project and keep it going.

Bryan Lagrange

I finally found some time to work in OnShape. Did a little bit on conceptual modeling on the motorcycle file. Starting to get used to the commands in OnShape. Can't wait to see the OnShape team roll out sheet metal capabilities.
    Bryan Lagrange

I just did a little conceptual modeling on the bike. Liking OnShape more and more as I use it and get familiar with the functionality and how to execute some of the commands. Bring on OnShape sheet metal.
    Bryan Lagrange

A bit frozen project but I'll pop it up if we have some new designers that would like to be part of McOnshapers team.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/75b863b1b99b44a9adfe592b/w/225476ffc0534d918a11418a/e/b8c0339e05e44d0ebe31d205

pm me your account email and I'll add you to the team with edit rights.
    //rami
    We are so going to make it AWD!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0jK_DqRFE
    //rami

Let's get this party started.  :) If we build it they will ride.

Bryan Lagrange

I say make a new branch for the reboot of this project. 

Other suggestion, when members create components we could set up a review session among team members. When the group is pleased with the component, it is moved to a finalized branch where the full assembly of all components could take place. 
    Bryan Lagrange

A little inspiration for this project.

The Britten bike story:
    http://www.brittendvd.co.nz/index.html

Project-M85
    Check out this link: http://www.coroflot.com/dustingriffith/project-m85

Bryan Lagrange

• mark_rountree_mark_rountree_ Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    https://motors-bay.com/img/Britten/britten001.jpg

Frameless carbon fibre bike made in a garage in new zealand.
    Getting some help with getting the word out on this project: Wanted: People Using Onshape to Collaborate on a Motorcycle Design
    Bryan Lagrange

Durable off-road engine....used in a 4 wheel package......lets put it in 2.
    Bryan Lagrange

Polaris Prostar 1000
    Bryan Lagrange

• cameron_reidcameron_reid Member Posts: 1
    G'day Everyone,

I don't use Onshape at the moment as I like the surfacing tools in other programs. I haven't seen what's available in Onshape recently, so maybe I should give it a go. I saw this project on SolidSmack so thought I would check it out. Looks fairly slow at the moment? I am a passionate motorcyclist and industrial designer from Melbourne, Australia.

After reading this thread it seems you are going with an adventure style bike that is also very light? My initial thoughts (and I'm not an adventure bike type of guy), are what about an electric bike with massive range? It could be two wheel drive with an electric motor in both wheels, this would give a large amount of battery space in the area where the engine usually sits. Main frame could be 3d printed in a carbon composite type material, giving strength but keeping the weight down. Ground clearance would be very good as the batteries could be shaped to suit. I'm thinking something purposeful/Mad Max  looking?

Anyway, enough for now, I'll attach a recent side project as an indication of my general work. This was a concept model based on Honda's RC213V engine as a road going production model.

All the best,

Cam.
    @cameron_reid
    Cool looking super-bike!

Our main intension was not to actually create a new production model adventure-bike but to try out such collaboration project. It doesn't matter if your not into adventure - within last years I've moved more towards enduro tracks as I don't have time for long distance travel..

If you have time and interest, just send me your email and I'll add you to team McOnshapers.. I don't see any problem also modeling a sports bike if that gets more interest - as long as we do it using Onshape.
    //rami

Great looking bike @cameron_reid

This project is open for any and all ideas. I like your idea of an AWD electric driven bike.

@3dcad what are your thoughts on starting a new branch for the reboot of this project. Maybe we can label it reboot or 2017.

Since Onshape has added folders, maybe we can better organize the project by setting up different folders for different sub assemblies.

Bryan Lagrange

@bryan_lagrange
    It might be a good idea to start from begin. Onshape is a lot different from what it was in the beginning and I think we should have a fresh folder for this project with multiple documents. As we have built a team rather than add everybody into share, it should be easy to share a folder for that team.

@lougallo
    Is it possible to use folders for public docs and share among public team with edit rights including free and pro users?
    //rami
    @3dcad I like the fresh start approach. The folders are a good approach to organize everything before we commit to the final assembly.
    Bryan Lagrange

• bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I was once a motocross racer who also tried his hand at GP racing - but that was long, long ago.  Now, I think internal combustion engines in the 21st century are like the steam engines in the 20th century - obsolete technology. I'm a strong advocate of electric power for all vehicles. 

I now have a public open source Onshape project called "Electric Winch" for launching gliders (sailplanes).  There are about a dozen participants. We just bought a Remy HVH250 -115 DOM motor off eBay for $1500 which can produce 400HP for a couple of minutes and about 180HP indefinitely yet it's small enough to fit in a motorcycle.  It's roughly 127 pounds, 11" in diameter and 11" long.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c906a6bdcf50136ee9dbb9e1/w/9f6d794f5ac613eb6ba6aa67/e/9aef096be000ec53b2e3cf91

A motocross bike needn't have a long range as riding in the rough beats the heck out of one's body.  About half an hour is all most riders can stand.  A light battery pack which cold last a couple of hours and a powerful motor could make a wild motocross bike.

Based on my experience with the winch project, I suggest working out the electric drive train first and then wrapping a bike around that.   The powerplant is the heart of a motorcycle - everything else is just accessories.
    @bill_daniels
    That is true and electric bikes are super fun too! I have Ktm Freeride enduro with electric motor. It can take serious beating for an hour or trial riding for a day, enough power and very nice control for power delivery. 100m on the road and you choose rather driving on ditch beside the road =)
    I have also used it for trial training inside our warehouse while weather makes things difficult outside.
    //rami
    I made a folder for design concepts.

I am an on board with the electric direction.

Bryan Lagrange

Ok, did some housekeeping and testing with new Onshape document folders. It seems to be possible for a free user to create a folder and share it among team so that anyone can create subfolders & documents that are automatically shared among team. Great :+1:

I have moved ownership of original document to my other (non-company / free) account and I also created a folder and shared it to McOnshapers.

If I got it right, we should now have pretty sweet platform to have fresh start on this project using multiple documents & subfolders to keep things in nice order.

Please create all documents under shared main folder (Motorcycle (community project)) so they are automatically shared among team and don't interfere with anyones work.
    //rami
    Nice and clean for a fresh start. I like it. Great job @3dcad
    Bryan Lagrange

Ok, I thought I force myself to create something this night.. It's amazingly difficult to get started with motorcycle when you don't have a clue where to start  :#

Then I thought maybe it's because we don't have garage where to work :warning:  So I begun to make one:

As it's snowing outside it's obviously fully insulated and should have lift door to survive with snow.. then we need a motorcycle lift and of course tools + holders and workbench - not to forget the freezer filled with installation beers :lol:

I also wanted to get my head around current share system including the behaviour of shared folders.
    McOnshapers (free account) is now the owner of main folder, my Pro account is included in the team who has edit rights.
    I wen't into folder with Pro and created new folder and new document, then begin to model the garage there.
    McOnshapers is shown as owner of the document.
    I didn't remember to make it public at first which lead to situation where it was in read only mode towards the owner =)
    Then made it public and was able to work with it either using free or pro account - perfect.
    //rami