Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ultimate collaboration Onshape community project

Comments

• Options
    david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a bike rider but I do have to say that the foot peg as shown looks like it could inflict some real damage to a leg in an accident. Would it be better if the bottom of the disks were round and not star shaped.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • Options
    Well I discovered something. Planer constraints get real screwed up if you try and change anything in an assembly. Sorry Bryan

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @bryan_lagrange Looks awesome! Problems might be weight and offroad performance.
    If these were in my ktm, I would probably grind the bottom in shape of slim half round to slide over logs'n'rocks..

//rami
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fins could switched to an aluminum alloy to reduce some weight. The fins also can be removed and changed with a half disc shape to have a round bottom.

I thought would also be cool is if you could make the fins out of hard wood to give a great contrast with the metal rod and hex nuts.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest that all collaborators should be part of a team in which we can share multiple documents. Therefore something like this foot peg concept could be on a separate shared document. These separate documents could be incorporated into the main project document after being finalized.
    Otherwise I in vision an enormous amount of tabs cluttering the main document to a point of it becoming extremely cumbersome to navigate.  
  • Options
    Good Idea. Anyone know how do this?
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Yes, 3D can Create the team and make everyone a team member with privileges as deemed appropriate. 
  • Options
    Then everyone can share documents with the team.
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad I would also like to be part of this project. I will PM my email ID. 
  • Options
    I will create team after work and bunch of documents I think we are going to need. If additional documents are needed just PM me.

@shashank_aarya Wellcome, I'll add you to share after I get your email.
    //rami
  • Options
    Ok, I made a team called Mc Onshapers. I hope I did include everybody in since I changed the share only to this group.
    All founding members have admin rights so feel free to add members as we get more interested collaborators.
    Let me know if something went wrong.

About documents, I think we should think of ways how to keep amount of documents at minimum since it should be able to handle larger designs than just few parts and assembly. Let's come up with ideas how to make it better rather than go traditional road with loads of files'n'folders.

For example footpeg shouldn't be more than one part studio. I'd hope we could have document for whole frame, another for motor and one for accessories. But even this setup needs cross document references so while Onshape is working on that we might be better of with only one document.
    //rami
  • Options
    teddy_pessagnoteddy_pessagno Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    The only way i see to do it is by version. Then the group decides how to merge things back into one document.

Teddy_P
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Hi @3dcad,I would like to join this project.I ll send my email address by PM.Please add me.
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    3dcad I am also interested in this project.I will send my email address by PM, add me please, thanks !
  • Options
    1 more and there is 10 members, nice!
    //rami
  • Options
    Feel free to create version/branches - let's make this ultimate test for Onshape's current capability!
    //rami
  • Options
    @teddy_pessagno and everybody else

Quote from my wall: 3DCAD, I drew the foot peg in one document. I mainly did it to practice. I don't know if I would be stepping on toes if I added it to the collaboration project because Brian started it. If you think I should i can redaw it there but here is a link to it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/681d9544a71c4134818df60f/w/7c5c68b99ad34a1bac660ab8/e/16df70a6c41f4d0b82d6f33b

There is no such thing as 'stepping on toes' in this project. Everybody can design everything and free feel to copy and make better if possible.

Let's agree that we don't modify other's sketches/features if not asked. Instead let's create new tab for bigger modifications and just new sketch+feature in same tab for smaller changes.

Please do help me with the frame as I'm struggling to find time for this. Just create another sketch to same tab - if it gets messy, then duplicate tab.
    It is easy to suppress stuff and this way we can actually collaborate and share thought about how it should be made. 
    //rami
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    About foot pegs, last night I was driving my 690 enduro and gave this a thought.
    - Pegs need to able to fold up if they get hit (or your foot is on their way)
    - Top side needs to be flat with maximum grip to boot
    - Pivot pegs have nice feature when driving sit & stand (http://www.pivotpegz.net/)
    - Long distance travelers might like some rubber on top to decrease vibration on feet.

Pegs will hit your boots in every direction in active driving so the current design would more aimed to show bike. While driving offroad, pegs will drag everything with you if they aren't really smooth design on front, back and bottom.
    But it doesn't harm to create accessories to easily change between show and hard core driving.
    //rami
  • Options
    teddy_pessagnoteddy_pessagno Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I created a "version" and 3 "branches".
    I removed the part studio I copied from Brians design and add it to the "show" branch.

Thanks
    Teddy_P
  • Options
    I think one item that can help in the design of the frame is picking a power plant for the bike. I found the following 3 nicely detailed power plants on GrabCad. I downloaded the .step models just in case.

One way we can start is bringing in a 2d sketch of the engine and placing it with the frame to start shaping the frame to hold it.

It would be nice to fully reverse one of these using onshape instead of just placing an imported model.

What do you guys think?

Ducati 1100 DS Engine: https://grabcad.com/library/ducati-1100-ds-engine

KTM 640LC4 engine: https://grabcad.com/library/ktm-640lc4-engine

Ducati 900cc air-cooled "L"-twin engine:  https://grabcad.com/library/ducati-900cc-air-cooled-l-twin-engine
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Motor is indeed important decision. If we go with big twin, frame needs to be strong and weight will be 200kg+

We would probably need to decide what we are aiming with first stab. Big twin for allroad or light 1 cyl for road+offroad?

Or maybe we create electric engine with enough range and power for lightweight allroad / hard enduro bike. Something like ktm 690 but lighter, slightly better to travel (though it's not bad to travel at all, I've done 800+km allroad trips with two 5min tank-breaks without problems). 
    My vote goes for currently non-existent e-motor.
    //rami
  • Options
    And then we need navigator that chooses the best route according to your current feeling and shows map / turns with hologram in front of the bike.

And of course bike should be equipped with gyroscope which will take over and prevent bike from falling if driver makes a mistake. =)
    //rami
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2015
    When you guys are done I'll take mine with 17" asphalt tires please.

• Options
    @billy Would you like to speed up the process by bringing your fork to the table too?

ps. Nice wheelie with your Husaberg B)
    //rami
  • Options

I uploaded an imported model of an engine so we can have a base to create the frame.

I uploaded this one: Ducati 1100 DS Engine: https://grabcad.com/library/ducati-1100-ds-engine

I would like to try and remodel the engine in Onshape. Anyone wanting to help me on this one feel free to join in.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Why remodel the engine rather than design a frame to fit the engine.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • Options
    I think we should have another doc for engine and use just dumb solid in main design to avoid performance problems..

@bryan_lagrange Are you going to model complete engine with all the inner parts or just create a block that is shaped according to ducati's outer shape?
    //rami
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    If I understood correctly the Ducati engine is air / oil cooled - that's not going to work in slow offroad riding..
    //rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is an electric motor possible? It would be pretty cool to use an electric motor if this was the case.

What sort of range do you need?

How much power is required?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    david_sohlstrom ,because we just can download some parameterized model like step/xt and other formats from internet, we have to remodel a new model which includes many features and parts accroding this parameterized model!