Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - September 19th, 2022

Kevin_CowlesKevin_Cowles Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 13 PRO
edited October 2022 in New in Onshape
Summer may have come to an end for many, but new releases of Onshape just keep coming! Today's Onshape update details the game-changing connection between Onshape and Arena PLM, as well as improvements to curve creation, drawing functionality, and much more.

ONSHAPE ENTERPRISE

ONSHAPE - ARENA CONNECTION

Earlier this week, we announced the Onshape - Arena Connection, which provides integrated cloud-native CAD, PDM, and PLM. With the click of a button, product data is instantly shared between systems, helping engineering and supply chain teams collaborate and iterate on product designs earlier in the design process. The Onshape-Arena Connection is available for all Onshape Enterprise users who also have Arena Launch or Arena Scale, at no additional cost.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zdlzp3l4lt

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

PROJECTED CURVE

The Projected curve feature now allows curves to be defined using the projection of a curve and a face.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/imwwsthvqo

REVERT MERGE

After a merge, a message bubble appears to allow the user to revert the merge, providing a shortcut to restore the document to its pre-merge state.

LAST CHANGE TOOLTIP FOR SELECTIVE MERGE

In the Selective merge dialog, a tooltip displays when the last change was made to a tab, and who made that change.

HOLE FEATURE UI IMPROVEMENT

Editing variables for the hole feature is now much more intuitive, as hole depth, tapped depth, and tap clearance can all now be used as driving variables.

TAB MANAGER UI IMPROVEMENT

An updated Tab manager interface matches behavior from the documents page and improves visibility.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

JOGS IN DIMENSION EXTENSION LINES

Create jogs in dimension extension lines to improve the organization and clarity of your Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/0ovm63y388

ANNOTATIONS IN DRAWING FORMAT LAYERS

Move Geometric tolerances and Surface finish annotations between drawing layers. Move any annotation type not linked to geometry to the format layers, making drawing templatization even more powerful.

ASSEMBLY IMPROVEMENTS

ASSEMBLY TREE RIGIDITY INFORMATION

The assembly tree now provides additional information regarding the rigidity of the assembly and its subassemblies, as well as whether instances have unconstrained degrees of freedom. This helps assembly performance by ensuring that subassemblies are appropriately constrained.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ltent6t7hp?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

EDIT SUPPRESSED MATES

You can now edit suppressed mates.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

ADVANCED ONSHAPE ASSEMBLIES

A new self-paced course, Advanced Onshape Assemblies, is now available in the Onshape Learning Center. This course explores advanced assembly techniques including mate relations, assembly patterns and replication, display states, named positions, exploded views, items, and interference detection. This course is available to Standard, Professional, Enterprise, and EDU Onshape users.

PCB STUDIO FUNDAMENTALS

A new self-paced course, PCB Studio Fundamentals, is available in the Onshape Learning Center. This course describes the fundamentals for getting started with PCB Studio including importing ECAD data, creating boards and syncing to a Part Studio and Assembly, modifying PCB designs, exporting ECAD data, sharing and data management of ECAD data, and managing PCB Studio settings. This course is available to Professional and Enterprise Onshape users.

VIDEO UPDATES

There have been several video updates to existing courses in the Onshape Learning Center, including:

• Introduction to Assemblies course

• Update to the introduction to assemblies video to include tangent edge display option.

• Onshape Assemblies course

• Update to the BOM video to include column sorting option.

• Update to the mating video to include new icons in the interface for limits.

• Detailed Drawings course

• New video on how to use the format painter tool.

• New video on view simplification.

• New video on assembly view options including adding exploded views, named positions, display states, and hiding/showing components in a drawing.

• Multi-part Part Studios course

• Feature list filters and folders video updated to include nested folders.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments in the Forum post. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Tagged:

Comments

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Love the degree of freedom indicators, but... It would really help if they were "recursive" as it doesn't show you things that can move that are within a sub-assembly, which is unfortunate! I hope this gets added soon!
  • xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Great to see improvements in the assembly to better understand unconstrained parts. No more need to wildly drag parts to find the free one 😂
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited September 2022
    I've always wanted DOF indication. This will save a lot of time. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Assembly tree rigidity indicators are super! Icons are thoughtful and clear. Insight into structure at a glance. Very Onshape!
  • Michael_Risser_88Michael_Risser_88 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    good update
    thanks
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Fab...thank you. A great update
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Good update, thank you Onshape Team for your great work!  B)

And best is, that I don't have to install anything  :)
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited September 2022
    Join Richard Doyle the User Group Guy and Mike LaFleche for discussion and demonstration of the new features in Onshape today!  On Twitter @mlaflecheCAD, on Twitch @mlaflecheCAD and Onshape Youtube and LinkedIn below.

LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/video/event/urn:li:ugcPost:6977940041100627968/

Youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUjAXA0DzV0
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Thank you for the nice Improvement! My favourite is "ASSEMBLY TREE RIGIDITY INFORMATION".
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Nice improvements, but I still need Arial font.
  • STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO
    Just keep going!  :)
  • mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    Nice on the DoF indication. Would it also be possible to show the amount of DoF a part still has? Or even display the free translation or rotation directions?
  • kate_leipold_ritkate_leipold_rit Member Posts: 36 EDU
    I was complaining about the clearance threads yesterday!!  Can we please get through to next on the hole depth though? 
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work!!
    I love all the UI improvements
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    As usual.  All great updates!
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    All we need now is the hard-to-see blue spinning circle that shows something is still loading to be more visible!!! 

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/q4a3wXAXyME
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Assembly tree rigidity, OMG Thank you!
    Been craving this one for years!

I like how it also warns you on over constrained mistakes and sub assembly rigidity!

edit suppressed mates will also come in handy

I don't understand what has changed with Hole UI, and Tab Manager UI.
    Isn't that how they were before?
  • Kevin_CowlesKevin_Cowles Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 13 PRO

Both UI updates are subtle changes, but definitely make the features easier to use. For the Hole feature, it is now more intuitive to establish a specific tapped depth, and for Tab manager it is easier to see which tab is active and only one click to open a tab.
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Both UI updates are subtle changes, but definitely make the features easier to use. For the Hole feature, it is now more intuitive to establish a specific tapped depth, and for Tab manager it is easier to see which tab is active and only one click to open a tab.
    Really appreciate the single click in tab manager. I would like to see the single click brought to the drawing mode. Pain in the b.. to double click for sheet change.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    OOHhh!

I see, it's completely highlighted now.
    That's right, I got so used to looking at the thick vertical blue line, that I didn't even see the giant blue selection! Ha!

Yea, I remember now years ago I requested something like this because my monitor would wash out that blue line on the edge of the screen, since then Onshape added a toolbar there for the version and performance stuff, so the blue bar stood out better and fixed that old issue so I just forgot about it.

Thanks for sticking to your old IRs

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Really appreciate the single click in tab manager. I would like to see the single click brought to the drawing mode. Pain in the b.. to double click for sheet change.
    Yes that would be nice especially since double clicking the current active one brings up the properties so it's a bit weird, single click to switch to the sheet would help a lot!

That said, I have found myself using the keyboard shortucts more and more to switch between sheets: pgup, pgdn, home and end. If you have less than 5 sheets, any sheet is only two keystrokes away!
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Oo, Arena. Nice! Thanks team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited September 2022
    Rigid assembly icons are great.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • samuel_peterson115samuel_peterson115 Member Posts: 2
    holy I cant believe what im seeing
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    Really great update. I love how we keep getting new features but OS still works on making subtle tweaks to improve the UI.