Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.
First time visiting? Here are some places to start:- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
how to center sketch on center point
alco933
Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Answers
-
Transform tool will accomplish what your wanting to do.


8 -
yea trying to figure out how to use that, when I select all 4 sides of the rectangle and then select the transform icon , the only option is "wrap". ??1
-
you can see I am in "sketch" as shown and transform is selected. Why are there no arrows to move the sketch? If there were arrows, how would you center the sketch on the center point? I still don't know what steps to do to "accomplish" that.
1 -
sorry I have to leave the down vote on Glens because I can't tell what he is doing with that diagonal. That should have been explained. I still can't get the sketch centered.-9
-
There are a number of self paced courses available. Perhaps you might want to start there with the sketching lesson.
https://learn.onshape.com/catalog?labels=%5B%22Self-Paced%20Courses%22%5D&values=%5B%22All%22%5D
5 -
Glen I asked a specific question. That does not answer it.glen_dewsbury said:There are a number of self paced courses available. Perhaps you might want to start there with the sketching lesson.
https://learn.onshape.com/catalog?labels=%5B%22Self-Paced%20Courses%22%5D&values=%5B%22All%22%5D-9 -
@alco933 I don’t think it’s unreasonable to search the help
https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform-sketch.htm?Highlight=Transform
or take the time to watch the training videos. That’s what they’re there for. Sounds like you already worked it out from comments in another thread.Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEA7 -
Unreasonable is not the issue, a specific question is. If you can't answer the specific question with a specific answer don't post a response.-10
-
I believe everyone did answer your question and took the effort to reply. We can’t understand it for you.Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEA8
-
Neil, no, there are no specific steps provided to illustrate how to center a sketch on a center point. None. There is only a vague reference to a toolbar menu item the the ambiguous phrase "will accomplish".
I'm not going to argue with you. There is no specific answer to the OP in spite of your condescending remark.
I just created a new sketch using rectangle on center point. It would have been great if someone could have recommended that too but no one did.-8 -
@alco933,
@glen_dewsbury correctly identified the transform tool as the right way to do it and pointed you in the right direction in his answer. All you had to do if you didn't know how to use the tool was to look it up in the help which explains in great detail (including a video) how to relocate the manipulator and achieve what you wanted.
People answering your questions here are (with the exception of a few Onshape employees that do post here) other users that volunteer their time to help. People will be a lot more willing to help if you show that you are putting a minimum of effort into trying to understand the answer...
Getting rude if someone doesn't go out of their way to provide an extremely detailed answer isn't going to get you very far so you might want to adjust your attitude!
Also based on your posts, you really should go through some of the training as it will really help you get proficient and achieve what you want without having to keep asking for help with everything.13 -
For me the help file is very clear.
https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform-sketch.htm?Highlight=transform
8 -
Eric oh my gosh , how much more insulting and judgmental can you be? How do you know what effort I have put into this? I have been working on this one single simple task CENTERING A SKETCH OBJECT ON THE CENTER POINT for a minimum of 2 days. The answer I got was "here's a tool" and "will accomplish" and a image that doesn't show how the image was produced.
Then I get people suggesting off topic answers completely unrelated to the specific question and talking down to me instead of asking me which part I don't understand.
You say I am getting "rude" for merely being exasperated by short ambiguous answers and demeaning comments like "we can't understand it for you".
I'm rude because I tell someone their answer is off topic to the OP and telling them their comment is condescending? Seriously?
I have to 2 questions for you Eric.
1. Your words "achieve what you wanted." can you even articulate, in detail, the steps to do what I specified in the OP, STEP BY STEP? Or even point to the post and line that explains each key click/drag to do that?
I don't think you can.
2. Can you explain why I would want to watch hours and hours of tutorial videos when I only wanted to complete one simple sketch of a post molding which I have already done by now? The entire sketch took me about 2 hours with the learning curve but to get an answer on CENTERING A SKETCH OBJECT ON A CENTER POINT, something that was not explained in coherent steps is not present in this thread in spite of arrogant comments saying it's perfectly clear when the person trying to understand doesn't get the information.
-6 -
Dirk, it appears based on your link provided that you don't even understand the OP. The question was centering a sketch object on the center point. The help you provided and the video gives a few examples on how to merely move a sketch but does not address the center point question I asked.dirk_van_der_vaart said:For me the help file is very clear.
https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform-sketch.htm?Highlight=transform-7 -
To be fair, the OP was very vague.Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEA7
-
Neil , I disagree "HOW TO CENTER SKETCH ON CENTER POINT" is very clear and concise.-7
-
If it is that important for you to center the sketch on center point, then start designing that sketch the wright way in the first place so you don't need the transform-tool at all.
Is that clear enough?5 -
Dirk your comment "is that clear enough?" was not appreciated, it was rude and condescending. If you had bothered to take the time to read the current thread you would have seen that I already said I finished it because I started over and chose a center point rectangle object, something no one suggested in the myriad of previous posts. I would also suggest your proof read your comments for spelling errors.-7
-
@alco933 if center point rectangle is the answer then the question you asked was not clear and suggested you had already drawn everything and wanted to move it to the origin, with the transform tool. Anyway, I’m going to close this discussion now because it’s just getting out of hand.Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEA8
-
Neil I don't even know what you are saying in that first sentences but you were not able to provide instructions yourself when I asked you even though you though you said the answer was easy to understand.-8
-
alco933 said:Dirk your comment "is that clear enough?" was not appreciated, it was rude and condescending. If you had bothered to take the time to read the current thread you would have seen that I already said I finished it because I started over and chose a center point rectangle object, something no one suggested in the myriad of previous posts. I would also suggest your proof read your comments for spelling errors.
4
This discussion has been closed.





