Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - February 3rd, 2023

2»

Comments

• Options
    don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
    Still waiting for the Arial font...
  • Options
    mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Is there a different between Extrude Offset and just flipping the Second end position direction? I have been using that since the beginning to do Extrude Offsets.
    Hi Mike, there are quite a few differences and there was a crazy amount of votes for this improvement - mainly, you don't have to do any mental maths to work out the second offset and you can apply draft from the offset plane. My main use case is when detailing bosses where the top of the boss is the critical dimension and then draft is applied from there. You can now sketch on the bottom face, offset and extrude/draft backwards up to next.
    Thanks for the answer @NeilCooke! I have been playing with it this morning and I must admit it saves me some brain activity like you mentioned. I also noticed the second end position also starts with this offset now, interesting. I expected it to be separate, with a separate offset in the second direction, but maybe it is better as it is now. Looking forward to finding out how this change works in practice. Fun fact: I remember asking the Onshape Succes Manager in 2017 how to Extrude Offset and an engineer was brought into the call to tell me how to use second end position for this. It was one of the first questions I asked  :D

Also, the Improvement Request forum section is quite a friend of mine, but I have never seen this Extrude Offset request. Cannot find it right now also... Crazy amount of votes you say?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,899 PRO
    Nice update, Glad to have hatches in drawings, and MATE FOLDERS!

One thing I see on the change log that wasn't mentioned is updating drawings from the version dialog actually works again!
    Tested it on a document that doesn't update usually, and it worked. Awesome! I missed not having that feature.
  • Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    Either that... Or a nemesis... Why is he SO SAD??

MichaelPascoe said:
    @SethF Our friend has a henchman. 

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657

Also, the Improvement Request forum section is quite a friend of mine, but I have never seen this Extrude Offset request. Cannot find it right now also... Crazy amount of votes you say?
    Hi mike_hölscher,

We pull from both public requests/votes in the Improvement Request forum as well as private requests tracked with the same mechanism as our support tickets.  In the case of Extrude Offset, there was nothing in the Improvement Request forum that we were pulling from.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,373 PRO
    I still haven't dug into the new Extrude options, but it sounds like it solves this issue:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14457/extrude-from-vertex

There's an improvement request:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5446/extrude-from

It was marked as already offered - which kinda missed the point.

The big miss with how it worked up until this new update, was that extruding with draft (even with second direction) used the sketch plane as the draft hinge. To me this was always a huge disappointment. I was so used to doing injection molded parts (in Solidworks) with many sketches on the default planes, and extruding from/to with draft. 
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Love it! Great job guys! 
  • Options
    Shubham_MishraShubham_Mishra Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Good work on Hatches, waiting to see more capabilities (non-linear studies and thermal) added to FEA simulation. 
  • Options
    Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Great update!
  • Options
    JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    edited February 2023
    Mate Folders! Kermit-waving-hands-excitedly.meme
    But this update has a host of awesome improvements. Very nice!
  • Options
    JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 10 PRO
    @S1mon thanks for the explanation of Color maps, did not try to Merge them before, but it works. I was used to fixed orientation of surfaces, but I really like how it automatically changes depending on the state of another surfaces.

Didn't the Fill switch do Add? As it basically does when you try to create a surface from edges of another. I've noticed that since the Feature turned red and first I had no idea why, because I added the correct value for each side. Then I saw it's Add not New.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    I just tried extrude offset. I like it a lot. The same functionality was currently there but it took a lot more clicks and thinking to get it. (extrude to surface plus offsets in both directions. Getting the main + offset directions correct was always hit or miss).
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    ..snip.... My main use case is when detailing bosses where the top of the boss is the critical dimension and then draft is applied from there. You can now sketch on the bottom face, offset and extrude/draft backwards up to next.
    Pretty please with a cherry on top do the same with the hole command:)
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited February 2023
     I see some new buttons (that disappeared on refresh):

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
     I see some new buttons (that disappeared on refresh):
    You weren’t supposed to see those!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options