Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape suddenly stopped working with Chrome

ian_bottomley909ian_bottomley909 Member Posts: 10
Today when I fire up Onshape it reports that my Browser does not support WebGL - it all worked fine yesterday.
Chrome is latest version: Version 114.0.5735.133 (Official Build) (64-bit)
OS is Ubuntu 22.04
Onshape seems to run fien in Vivaldi
Acceleration is enabled in Chrome
Little spinning cube shows ok on Webgl test page
Onshape Compatability checked says WebGL is not available.

Any help or toher checks I could make would be greatly appreciated

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,436
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hi Neil, thanks for the prompt respnse - unfortunately - already tried both of those 
    I've noticed that the system also works OK with chromium (though complains about performance)

I've detrmined that Chromium is using the 'onbaord' intel graphics whereas Chrome is using the NVidia 1050ti - so I'm guessing that's where th root of the problem lies.

Go tthat info from here:

https://alteredqualia.com/tmp/webgl-maxparams-test/

Chromium says 
                             Unmasked Renderer: ANGLE (Intel, Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2), OpenGL 4.6)
                               Unmasked Vendor: Google Inc. (Intel)
    Whereas Chrome says

Unmasked Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA, Vulkan 1.3.242 (NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (0x00001C8C)), NVIDIA)
                               Unmasked Vendor: Google Inc. (NVIDIA)

But I'm unsure as to how to get either browser to use the other GPU to try and pin the issue down.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Ian B.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,436
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hi Neil, thanks for the prompt respnse - unfortunately - already tried both of those 
    I've noticed that the system also works OK with chromium (though complains about performance)

Subsequently I've done ssome more resaearch and found a solution:

Key points seem to be

1. The system I am running is actually Xubuntu not Ubuntu (different window manager I believe)
    2. I ran the NVIDIA Xserver settings app from the settings menu
    3. Under PRIME Profiles - I changed the selection
    from 
      NVIDIA On-Demand 
    to
      NVIDIA (Performance Mode)

Now it works fine - not sure 'why' sadly ...

But hopefully that helps someone else :)

Many thanks

Ian B.

• Options
    howard_bertolohoward_bertolo Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Ian, I have the same issue, Onshape in Chrome stopped working in Ubuntu. My Xserver settings don't appear to have a PRIME profiles option, any suggestions? Thanks.

Interestingly, Firefox on Ubuntu 22.04 works fine, I may just continue to use it, the performance is excellent.

• Options
    Hi Howard

I've had this problem on and off for a while (not sure if it's a system instability - but things I have done that have changed the behavious in the past are:

1. The 'Prime profiles' thing mentioned above

(The internet says that this option is not displayed if you are not using the NVidia drivers - not sure if that applies here or not ...)

2. Enabling hardware acceleration in Chrome

chrome://settings/system - turn option 2 on (quite how it turned itself off is another question)

3. Uninstalling broken NVIDIA drivers I had that i suspected were causing issues - only do this if you are confident (or like me, reckless)

>> sudo apt-get remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'

Each of these has either fixed the issue ... or had the side effect of fixing it on separate occasions ...

Good luck!

Ian B.