Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - September 22nd, 2023

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 34
edited October 2023 in New in Onshape
We're delighted to share with you another update to Onshape. It includes many improvements to core functionality like Sheet metal and Drawings. It also includes a groundbreaking update to the Onshape-Arena connection that brings a new level of integration and exciting new features.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

SHEET METAL HOLD LINE ALIGNMENT FOR FLANGE

A new sheet metal Flange alignment option is available. The Hold line alignment option initiates the bend of the flange starting from the existing edge of the sheet metal part.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/u459c8oud4

EXPORT MULTIPLE FLAT PATTERNS FROM A PART STUDIO

A new export option, Scope, allows you to export multiple sheet metal flat patterns at once.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/03rf2ca3th

• Single flat pattern part only - exports only the active flat pattern (which you right-clicked on to initiate the export)
  • All flat pattern parts in the current model - exports flat patterns of all parts created by that specific sheet metal model features. If you created more that one part using the same Sheet metal model feature (this is uncommon, and typically not suggested) it will still export each of them.
  • All flat patterns in the Part Studio - exports flat patterns of all sheet metal parts in the active Part Studio.

CURVE/FACE CURVATURE DEVIATION IN MEASURE

You may measure the curvature deviation between a curve and a face from a new option in the Measure tool dialog.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/coisriv7ld

SECTION VIEW MEASURE TO EDGE

You may now measure directly from/to an edge on the cut face while a Section view is active.

LIST VIEW - TABLE IMPROVEMENTS

When viewing documents in List view, you may now adjust the size of the Folders and Projects section. Additionally, any columns except Name can now be moved left or right from the column heading's right-click context menu. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/i78r1q5g85

SCROLL AND HORIZONTALLY RESIZE FEATURE DIALOGS

In some instances, especially when using smaller screen sizes, feature dialogs with many options would be cut off at the bottom. In this release, the entire feature dialog scrolls vertically, allowing you to access all options without having to move or resize the window. Additionally, a feature dialog can be expanded horizontally.

DRAWINGS IMPROVEMENTS

TOLERANCE PANEL IN INSPECTION TABLE

A Tolerance column has now been added to Inspection tables in Drawings.

DIAMETER AND RADIAL DIMENSIONS OF CENTERMARK SEGMENTS

You can directly dimension circular centermark arc segments, using the Diameter or Radial dimension tool.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/mr9ctj9kzs

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

CREATE GENERAL TASK FROM A DOCUMENT (LIGHT USERS)

Light users may now create General tasks directly from within a document.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8c8f1tf7a0

IMPROVED CUSTOM WORKFLOW MANAGEMENT

A new table-based interface has been added to more easily manage Enterprise custom Release management Workflows.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/lt2vtacvzc

ARENA CONNECTION IMPROVEMENTS

SHARED RELEASE/CHANGE MANAGEMENT CAPABILITIES

We are delighted to share that Onshape Release management now directly connects to Arena Change management capabilities, keeping all release data in sync.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wfuz3bhpjn

PLEASE NOTE: These connection features are available in Onshape today, and will be fully available after the Arena release in the coming days. Please check with your Customer Success Manager and/or Arena Solutions Architect for more information or assistance in enabling these features.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

UPDATES: FEATURESCRIPT FUNDAMENTALS

The FeatureScript Fundamentals course has been updated with more content. New, interactive elements have been added to the course to assist with learning important concepts, and a new lesson on Performance Optimization is in the Advanced Topics section.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheet metal enhancements!  The golden F5 button worked!
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Wow. I was trying to do something very simple in Onshape and was getting a ton of spinning wait cursors... so I came here, and sure enough the update is live. 

Resizing dialogs is such a huge usability improvement.
    Measuring from xsec edges is something I missed all the time, but assumed it would never happen with it being done with WebGL instead of Parasolid. 
    Many others look great... looking forward to trying this stuff out.
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Scroll & horizontal resize of feature dialog box - such a simple idea, but will have big impact on my daily life. Also thumbs up for section view edge selection. Well done team.
  • Options
    andrew_kelly561andrew_kelly561 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    some great improvements here Onshape team 
  • Options
    JamesonBinanitanJamesonBinanitan Member Posts: 9 PRO
    edited September 2023
    Thank you and Congratulations Onshape Team!

These are remarkable improvements, featuring a lot of handy new features. 
    I particularly appreciate the ongoing updates to the Inspection Tables. I wonder if, in the future, quality and inspection personnel will be able to input actual dimensions directly into the panel and generate official reports from it. (This, of course, depends on the company's setup.)
    Regarding the Resize Feature Dialogs, I agree that it would be more helpful if we could also resize vertically, allowing us to check or quickly delete unnecessary entities.
    The direct sync with Arena Change Management is exciting, as it will significantly enhance the efficiency of maintaining data consistency across releases. I'm curious, though, if the name of the Approver in Arena will be the one reflected in the drawing releases. In some cases, the Arena and Onshape approvers may be two different individuals.
  • Options
    STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 77 PRO
    Mes améliorations préférées:
    • la nouvelle option pour les "flanges" du métal en feuille;
    • exporter tous les dépliés d'un même Atelier de pièces en ZIP;
    • mesurer dans une vue de coupe;
    • dimensionner sur des lignes d'axe;
    • le nouveau cours FeatureScript;
    • la capacité de faire une "gusset" entre une pièce "Frame et une pièce "non-Frame" (voir Changelog)
    • et plus d'une vingtaine de corrections de bogues même s'ils ne m'affectaient pas personnellmement!

• Options
    partsovenpartsoven Member Posts: 24 PRO
    BRAVO!
  • Options
    monroe_weber_shirkmonroe_weber_shirk Member Posts: 96 EDU
    Thank you for the resizable dialogs!
  • Options
    chris_pettit573chris_pettit573 Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Export all sheet metal dxf's at once! Amazing thank you. No joke, I was about to do 70 by hand today.
    Would love to be able to add each part's thickness to the exported file name so my fabricator knows which sheet stock to use. I've not had luck with the export rules yet.
  • Options
    robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 27 PRO
    Nice update but damn when I saw "core functionality like Sheet metal" hoped it was the Sheet metal Loft as shown during the Sneak Peak! 

• Options
    john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Woohoo, Section View Measure. Amongst a load of other excellent updates. Thank you Onshape team
  • Options
    Matthew_CurranMatthew_Curran Member, csevp Posts: 19 PRO
    Amazing update! Some of my favorites are,

New horizontal resizing for all feature dialogs and vertical scrollbars for smaller screens
    Support measuring edges cut by section views
    Fixed an issue causing assembly section view of composite parts created from parts with the same appearance to appear as one part

One thing I noticed with the horizontal resizing update is that this does not seem to work with the derived dialog box within features such as Frame. We heavily use this functionality to bring configured part studios into our jobs so being able to adjust the size of this dialog box as well would be huge for us, because it would allow us to be more descriptive with our configuration names.

• Options
    lauren_littlelauren_little Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 3

I particularly appreciate the ongoing updates to the Inspection Tables. I wonder if, in the future, quality and inspection personnel will be able to input actual dimensions directly into the panel and generate official reports from it. (This, of course, depends on the company's setup.)
    Regarding the Resize Feature Dialogs, I agree that it would be more helpful if we could also resize vertically, allowing us to check or quickly delete unnecessary entities.
    The direct sync with Arena Change Management is exciting, as it will significantly enhance the efficiency of maintaining data consistency across releases. I'm curious, though, if the name of the Approver in Arena will be the one reflected in the drawing releases. In some cases, the Arena and Onshape approvers may be two different individuals.
    By default, the PLM integration user will show up as the Approver, but there is a setting within the Enterprise settings->Arena section which allows you to override the integration user's display name, similar to how we do this for individual users. If the name of the Approver from Arena is important for you, can you submit a support ticket for this request? I have some follow-up questions for you. 
  • Options
    Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Great! Love to see progress in PLM topics. 
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    The section view measure and curve deviation between curves and faces are great additions with this update! My suggestions on further improvements to what was released:
    1. Vertical resizing of the dialog boxes, like many others have said. This is more important to me than the horizontal resize when there are a lot of selections.
    2. It would be nice if the tolerances in the inspection table could be edited from that location rather than just viewed.
    Thanks for the update!
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Section measure is interesting. It doesn't work until you hit the measure tool and wait for "generating entities". Measuring between un-sectioned edges happens without that delay.

Also the entities seem to only be generated for a sub-set of all the parts which are sectioned, based perhaps on what is on-screen? I had to close and re-open the measure tool to get edges in the same section to be selectable.

I kinda get why this takes time and resources, and it needs to be only on-demand, but it's a bit of mental overhead to manage. I'll need to play with this some more, but perhaps these limitations should be mentioned up front?
  • Options
    farouk_aghafarouk_agha Member Posts: 1
    ok
  • Options
    kristof_onghenakristof_onghena Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Now this is an impressive update! Thank you for the sheet metal and tolerancing improvements! Great work!!! 
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 60 PRO
    Great improvements. Thank you, Onshape team! I was on the improvement request for that "hold line" flange option since the introduction of sheet metal so very pleased to see it! 
  • Options
    Arunabha_NagArunabha_Nag Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 17
    edited September 2023
    @S1mon

Thank you for checking out the new measurement capability in section view. You are right that you need to invoke the measure tool in order to measure those entities. We will explore ways to make it more seamless in future.
    About your comment:  "the entities seem to only be generated for a sub-set of all the parts which are sectioned". This is not expected to happen. Seems like a bug to me. Can you please report this to support with some details?

Thank you
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    Yes, sheet meta flange "hold line" option (finally!)

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO
    edited September 2023

ANOTHER homerun?! Ty Onshape team!

Especially like the scroll & resize feature dialogs.

Love the improvements to the FeatureScript course too. B)

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    JamesonBinanitanJamesonBinanitan Member Posts: 9 PRO

By default, the PLM integration user will show up as the Approver, but there is a setting within the Enterprise settings->Arena section which allows you to override the integration user's display name, similar to how we do this for individual users. If the name of the Approver from Arena is important for you, can you submit a support ticket for this request? I have some follow-up questions for you. 
    Thank you, Lauren.
    I already submitted a ticket regarding this concern
  • Options
    Lars_WouterseLars_Wouterse Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Very, very excited for the Arena Onshape connection update! Can't wait to start using it and start saving time.
  • Options
    javl0p_2javl0p_2 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Yet another update in which ISO Fit Tolerances for holes and shafts are not implemented. Please, it is something that has been asked for years and, IMHO, is relatively easy to implement!