Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

helical sweep

ChuckKeyChuckKey Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
In public "Face Cam" , 2015-12-16, the cam face in question is made by a helical sweep of a rectangle lying in a radial plane. The bottom end of this face meets an arc produced by removing a radial extrusion. However much fiddling is done, the geometry prevents these two surfaces from blending as well as might be desired. Altering the sweep shape so that the generating edge is not normal to the axis might give some improvement, but would be a matter of trial and error. In the machine shop the cam face would be produced by a cylindrical milling cutter with its axis radial to the cam, moving in the helical path. This would blend properly, but I don't know how to get that effect in Onshape. Ideas?
The top end of the helical sweep meets a flat face normal to the axis. It does not seem to be possible to fillet these two surfaces. 
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    ChuckKeyChuckKey Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 Answer ✓
    At first I thought the new 'wrap' function solved this issue. Having realised that thickness works radially on the target cylinder, I don't think it helps so much with my problem. Milling the cam profile with a radially presented milling cutter of non-zero diameter does not produce radial surfaces.

Answers