Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to extrude a solid with holes

jeff_mcafferjeff_mcaffer Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
I have a gear drawn imported as a DXF and added to a drawing (See the attached image). I can extrude the drawing as a "Surface" but when I extrude as a "Solid" just the outer perimeter is extruded. That is, there are no holes in the gear. How do I get this as a solid?  I looked at adding faces to the front and back but don't see how to do that either.  Basically I just want to "fill" the space constrained by the front and back planes.

W
gear.PNG 271.1K

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    I should add, when I extrude "solid" the center hole does extrude.  It is just the 5 spoke teardrop cutouts that do not extrude. The individual teardrops appear to be closed.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you Share the link to your document?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Hi Jeff - if all profiles are closed (shaded) then it should work. Try doing it in more than one operation i.e. extrude the teeth and center hole as one solid feature then extrude/remove the teardrop shapes as a second feature. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    First, great community!  Thanks for the prompt help on a Saturday afternoon/evening.  Based on this info I looked *really* carefully at the original drawing (not done by me).  Turns out that all the segments of the teardrops are arcs and are not coming in as actually joined.  They just look very very close to connected.  I was able to get everything to work as expected by grabbing each arc end and moving it out/back so it snapped to the neighboring end.  Bit of a pain but in the end, it took a couple of minutes and is done.  I do have a lot of gears to do but its a one time deal.  Will look into @3dcad's suggestion when as the project progresses.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks Bruce for the help and the offer to collaborate. In this case the gears are all pretty specific and getting the dimensions will be more trouble than just tweaking the arcs to ensure they are constrained.  In general though I love the idea of a gear generator.