Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - April 26th, 2024

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
edited April 26 in New in Onshape
This latest release includes some highly requested features, impressive productivity improvements, and awesome data management capabilities that you only get with Onshape. 

PART STUDIOS

SKIP PATTERN INSTANCES

Linear, Circular, and Curve pattern features now include an option to skip selected instances. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/t6bvansgx8?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280 

ISOPARAMETRIC CURVE

You will find a new Isoparametric Curve feature that allows you to create curves along a face in either the U or V direction.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wbrghma0g5?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

THIN SWEEP

A new option has been added to the Sweep feature to create a Thin Sweep.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/z3vs8dhnjf?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

DRAWINGS

GENERAL FIT CLASS TOLERANCES

Fit class tolerances can now be applied to any dimension. Tolerances are derived from standard tables based on fit type, class, and diameter.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/lb7pj839nf?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

DOCUMENTS

RESTORE DELETED BRANCH / WORKSPACE

Deleting a branch or workspace now shows a message confirming that the branch has been successfully deleted and an option to restore it instantly. Deleted workspaces are kept for up to 30 days and can be easily restored.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/sbuzed96sf?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

ACTION ITEMS PANEL

Comments, Tasks, and Release notifications can now be accessed directly from within a Document with filters relating to the current open Document or other company-wide Action items.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/8itkw8juyv?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

ANALYTICS

WHERE USED LIST FOR OBSOLETED ITEMS

The Obsoletion Dashboard now includes a "Where Used List" drill-down report to make it easy to find Assemblies and Drawings that contain obsoleted items that may need updating or replacing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jy8hupfe6d?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

FEATURESCRIPT

NEW FUNCTIONS

Evaluate functions:

evEdgeCurvatureDerivative (context is Context, arg is map) returns Vector

• Evaluate the derivative of the curvature vector with respect to arc length, that is, the third derivative of the curve with respect to arc length.

evFaceCurvatureDerivative (context is Context, arg is map) returns MatrixWithUnits

• Given a face, calculate and return the derivative of the second fundamental form of the face in a given direction.
String functions:

substring (s is string, startIndex is number) returns string

• Returns a substring of a string starting at the specified start index.

substring (s is string, startIndex is number, endIndex is number) returns string

• Returns a substring of a string starting at the specified start index and ending at the specified end index.

startsWith (s is string, prefix is string) returns boolean

• Returns whether a string starts with the specified prefix.

endsWith (s is string, suffix is string) returns boolean

• Returns whether a string ends with the specified suffix.

splitByRegexp (s is string, separatorRegexp is string) returns array

• Split a string into parts based on a regular expression separator.

indexOf (s is string, substr is string) returns number

• Returns the index of a substring in a string, or -1 if the substring is not found.

indexOf (s is string, substr is string, startIndex is number) returns number

• Returns the index of a substring in a string starting the search at a specified start index, or -1 if the substring is not found.

indexOfRegexp (s is string, regexp is string) returns number

• Returns the first index of a regular expression match in a string, or -1 if not found.

indexOfRegexp (s is string, regexp is string, startIndex is number) returns number

• Returns the first index of a regular expression match in a string starting at the specified start index, or -1 if not found.

repeatString (s is string, count is number) returns string

• Returns a string made by repeating the first argument a specified number of times.
Manipulator functions:

togglePointsManipulator (definition is map) returns Manipulator

• A series of points which can each be selected individually.

NORMALIZE PERFORMANCE

The performance of the normalize() function has been dramatically improved to make custom and built-in vector-based features run much faster. To make use of this in custom features, change the library versions at the top of each feature to point to the latest available.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/u30efsgmrz?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

LEARNING CENTER

COURSE IMPROVEMENTS

The Understanding Curves course in the Learning Center has been updated to include how to use the new Isoparametric curve feature.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,726 PRO
    edited April 26

Nice work team!!

FeatureScript improvements  <3
    @Jacob_Corder

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 36 PRO
    Loving the skip pattern instances and thin sweep. Happy to see all the others also. Great work.
  • Options
    STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 77 PRO
    Wow! 👌
  • Options
    roryaronsonroryaronson Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Skip pattern instances!! Been waiting for this for years!! Will really clean up feature trees and make some things so much faster to accomplish 🙏
  • Options
    rafael_telgmannrafael_telgmann Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    what a great update! Thx.
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 60 PRO
    Wonderful stuff! That Normalize improvement makes me wish I knew more vector math(s)!
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited April 27
    Nice to know that I can recover a branch that I might have mistakenly deleted (while on auto-pilot) - and skip instance in patterns, all good things, will use this a lot.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    edited April 28
    Nice work as always.

So happy for string functions in FS
    and action items / skip instances

Awesome, fixed the fastener fit now.. it won't just fail the hole, now it gives a warning message, but continues to draw the hole anyway
    That was annoying all my guys at work, It was coming up multiple times a week since the new Hole feature UI update

• Options
    JamesonBinanitanJamesonBinanitan Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Lots of good features to explore. I'm glad to see updates I've been looking for, such as Skipping Pattern Instances and General Fit Class Tolerances. The Action Items Panel will be more accessible than ever.

Thank you Onshape Team!
  • Options
    antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 15 PRO
    Isoparametric Curves and Thin Sweeps are great additions, thanks!
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 56 PRO
    As usual amazing work :open_mouth: ! every release is like a drug for me
  • Options
    Roberto_VerduciRoberto_Verduci Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Great work!! General fit class tolerances really appreciated  <3
  • Options
    Nathanael_PeltzerNathanael_Peltzer Member Posts: 4
    Finally the GENERAL FIT CLASS TOLERANCES is added. LOVE IT!!!
  • Options
    chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 133 PRO
    The FeatureScripter in me is very very happy with this release. Glad to see the added string functions, should make parsing a lot less clunky.
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • Options
    jens_nielsen815jens_nielsen815 Member Posts: 8 EDU
    thin  sweep-great, I was waiting  for  that!
  • Options
    JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 11 PRO
    S1mon said:
    A lot of great improvements. All the marquee ones are great additions. It's bittersweet that @Evan_Reese's Facecurves can finally be retired, but also fun to see how much Isoparametric curves is like Facecurves.

I'm very curious about the new evaluate functions. Does this mean that G3 constraints are not far behind??? 

Also in the Changelog it says "Support G3 continuity in curvature combs in measure and curvature deviation". I played with the measure tool and didn't see anything different in terms of it showing if something is G3 or not.
    +1, was looking forward to see some additional measure criteria or a visual check if the curvature comb continues as G3 instead of really, really nice G2. But haven't found any. :neutral: 

Hopefully we will see soon some tools capable of creating G3 curvature entities. :smile:
  • Options
    Jonathan_HutchinsonJonathan_Hutchinson Member Posts: 65 PRO
    Surface Isocurve is a great starting point - I had rolled my own previously so glad to see it added. My thoughts would still be, the 'Show Isocurves' option in tools such as loft should also add the red/green UV distinction, and could the line weight not be toned down by a pixel or so?
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/YRIS62APgxk
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Max_KlugeMax_Kluge Member Posts: 5
    Cool release!

The "Skip Pattern"-Feature would also be nice in assemblies!