Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't chamfer an edge

henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
So this may be stupidity (or OnShape noobness) on my part, but I can't chamfer an edge in the image below; all the other edges took a chamfer or fillet as needed. There is no error that I can see, and sometimes it shows a preview briefly of a chamfer or fillet (I tried both) but it goes away shortly after appearing. I don't know if this is due to a constraint (that bar going towards the bottom is constrained to coincident to the right edge of the object). I have made the document public and it is called "Sternal Retractor - debug".

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @henry_feldman My guess is the edge is smaller than the fillet will allow.  Does the dialog where you enter the size have a red border?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    There is no red border, and at least on the iPad there is a failure error message (no reason, just that it failed). The object is 25mm wide and I was trying a 1mm filet. 
  • Options
    Btw: I wasn't originally using the iPad, but figured I would try it in case it was a browser issue. 
  • Options
    viru said:
    @henry_feldman , You can give either 5 mm fillet or 1 mm chamfer in your model. I found below observation in your model.
    1) If you want to keep chamfer = 1 mm then you can give fillet value maximum upto 4.6 mm in your model.
    2) If you want to keep fillet = 5 mm then you can give chamfer value maximum upto 0.93 mm in your model.
    3) If you want to achieve your requirement fillet = 5 mm and chamfer = 1 mm then you have to apply chamfer before than fillet on your model as shown in below video.
    Kindly refer below video for more detail.

Wow, that was perfect. Thanks for spotting that. It would be an awesome feature if it highlighted where the fillet/chamfer failed, so you'd know what to do (without your experience). Thanks for making the video, that was incredibly instructive.