Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 17th, 2024

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,563
edited June 7 in New in Onshape
This release is packed full of customer requested improvements and just really cool stuff. Check it out.

DOCUMENTS

MERGE LINES AND REALTIME UPDATES

The Versions and history panel now updates in real time as changes are made by anyone working in the Document, such as adding branches and versions. Merge lines can also be shown for a clear high-level overview of the development timeline.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ia35de65yf?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

MERGE AND WORKSPACE UPDATES

Merging branches with different feature library versions has been completely reworked to be more efficient and more predictable.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ceaeasm58v?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

ADD COMMENTS TO COMMENT HISTORY

Comments can now be added to a Release or Task when viewing the comment history making it easier to follow an ongoing discussion.

TRASH RETENTION PERIOD 

For Onshape Enterprise customers, a new trash retention period of 90 days has been introduced. Any Documents that have been in the trash for 90 days or more will be permanently deleted and cannot be restored. For Onshape Professional and all other plans, the default 30 day retention period remains unchanged.

PART STUDIOS

G3 CURVATURE FOR BRIDGING CURVES

A Bridging curve can now maintain G3 continuity with adjacent curves and surfaces to create smoother and higher quality geometry.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/73bdgto0jg?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

THIN LOFT

The Loft feature now has a thin option. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6tk3bvzejy?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

CURVE COLORS

Curves and Composite parts containing curves can now have appearances applied.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fuqty63l3m?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

PITCH AND THREAD CLASSES

Tapped holes now include their pitch classification (UNC, UNF, UNEF or UNEEF for Inch threads, Fine or Coarse for Metric threads) to make it easier to distinguish which type of fastener will be used. Also, Thread class is now optional for applications where this level of detail is not required.

ASSEMBLIES

MATE CONNECTOR AT INSTANCE ORIGIN

Assembly Mate connectors can now be created at the origin of a Part or subassembly instance.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3jgv73db74?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

EXPORT SELECTED PARTS AND STEP EXPORT UNITS

Multiple selected Parts can now be exported from an Assembly as a single file (so the part positions stay relative to the Assembly origin). The units of a STEP file can also be modified before export. 

DRAWINGS

DETAIL VIEW OF A DETAIL VIEW

To annotate small features or just to add more clarity to a Drawing, a Detail view can now be created of an existing Detail view.

INSPECTION TABLE CROSS-HIGHLIGHTING

The Inspection table in Drawings now highlights annotations on screen and vice versa.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/rdh4qvjoba?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

FEATURESCRIPT

NEW FUNCTIONS

Array functions:
indexOf (container is array, value) returns number
  • Return the index of the value in container, or -1 if the value is not found.
indexOf (container is array, value, startIndex is number) returns number
  • Return the index of the value in container starting the search at a specified start index, or -1 if the value is not found.
insertElementAt (arr is array, index is number, value) returns array
  • Returns an array with value inserted at index.

FULL TRIAD MANIPULATOR

A new manipulator with 6 degrees of freedom, similar to the drag manipulator in Assemblies, can now be added to custom features.

RENDER STUDIO

INTEGRATED DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT AND IMPROVED UI

Render Studio now has access to the full capabilities of Onshape's Versions and history including branch/merge and restore, plus a new, refreshed UI to make it easier than ever to use.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/c8u2yjuslk?embedType=async&seo=true&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

MOBILE

BOM TABLES ON ANDROID

Assembly BOMs can now be accessed from the side panel on an Android device.

COMMENT TAGGING ON ANDROID

A two finger tap now enables you to quickly add comments with geometry references.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
Tagged:

Comments

• xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 61 PRO
    Okay go off 👏👏
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,708 PRO
    Lots of stuff to go through!
    Probably my top ones are the merge visualization and improvements and I can't wait to try out the new Render studio interface! Curve colors are also going to be helpful. I'm sure the MC at origin option will come in handy as well.

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 668 ✭✭✭
    Wowzer! Nice round of updates.
  • christian_pettychristian_petty Member Posts: 71 PRO
    @NeilCooke agreed! I was just talking about how scary merging is with large assemblies and I think these changes will give me a lot more confidence.
    Christian Petty - Mechanical Design Engineer, Radian R&D
  • Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 68 PRO
    This is all extremely impressive! seriously bravo!!
    I'm going to have to re-assess my entire workflow.

-I haven't utilised the power of version control and really need to start, this give me a great excuse.
    -Mate connector instance origin would have saved me time in the past. Excelent feature.
    -Export selected parts from assembly just makes way more sense for my workflow!
    -Detail of a Detail FINALLY! I've been suprised not being able to do this in the past.
    -Great to know the 6D manipulator and Featurescript improvements await.
    -Render studio suddenly makes so much more sense, I may even be able to justify using it more often.

Thank you so much!
  • svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 67 PRO
    Impressive! the added features is available in prevailing docs. Makes Onshape a great gem. No other cad program can match this.
    More can be done with categorising dockuments and naming convention docs and part numbers.
    I have problems find names for docs.  and part.  Bracket (fäste) and plate (plåt) stands for 30% in oure 30000 articles. And internationally there is 250 different languages. Considering that a number convention might be better.

• STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 85 PRO
    Aux 3 semaines vous me rappellez pourquoi j'ai choisi Onshape en 2018! 👏
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,708 PRO
    Had a quick look at the new Renderstudio. This is going to be nice!
    Is there a way to get rid of unused materials (or just delete them to get back to the "default")? It seems every time you assign a material it adds an entry it adds an entry in the list so that it just gets longer and longer as you experiment with different appearances
  • shawncrockershawncrocker Member Posts: 8 PRO
    @john_mcclary
    If your willing to use a free account of retool, I would be willing to setup a little tool that would allow you to do that and customize the naming of the files.  We do just what you are wanting to do using retool mainly because the parts within the step file when exported as a single step, do not contain the part number in the file name but just the part name.
  • jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 61 PRO
    Impressive updates, thank you!
    Render Studio is starting to be more usable, still would like to feel it fully function like Onshape though, for example it should retain the mouse settings from Onshape, currently spin view speed is much higher in Render Studio than in Onshape for me.
  • billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 84 PRO

MATE CONNECTOR AT INSTANCE ORIGIN!

This is going to be a huge timesaver! Thanks onshape!
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 63 PRO
    Brilliant update! Look forward to trying the new Render Studio. And to see if we can have a detail view of a detail view of a detail view!  :D
  • Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    Is there a way to get rid of unused materials (or just delete them to get back to the "default")? It seems every time you assign a material it adds an entry it adds an entry in the list so that it just gets longer and longer as you experiment with different appearances
    Getting rid of unused materials just missed the release but will come in the future. Being able to reset back to the default however is more complex and not yet planned. If that is something you feel is important please submit a ticket for that to help us gauge priority.

In terms of appearance assignment, in general if you are assigning the same appearance to multiple things you should first assign it to something and then assign the newly created appearance by dragging and dropping from the appearance in the scene graph rather than the library. That way new appearances will not be created beyond the initial one.

Of course there may be situations in which you want multiple appearances based on the same appearance from the library but edited which is why the library is setup the way it is. The appearances in the scene graph were what was previously in the "Scene appearances" folder in the library which made less sense since it was mixing library and non-library appearances together.
  • Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    Render Studio is starting to be more usable, still would like to feel it fully function like Onshape though, for example it should retain the mouse settings from Onshape, currently spin view speed is much higher in Render Studio than in Onshape for me.
    This is not feedback we have had previously (and navigation isn't something that should have changed in this release), can you please submit a ticket for this as we had intended the navigation to be the same as Onshape as much as possible. You mention that was only an example so it would be great to have tickets for other inconsistencies as well. There will be some areas where differences are necessary but this release should be much more consistent with how Onshape works.
  • Jay_TedeschiJay_Tedeschi Member Posts: 6
    Impressive updates, thank you!
    Good afternoon Jacques,

I used to have issues with mouse sensitivity as well, until I realized that the solution was right in front of me...

Logitech G305. Not only is it RF based, which means rock solid connectivity (unlike Bluetooth mice), but it has a neat little button right behind the scroll wheel, and each press lets you switch between one of five customizable DPI speeds.

It is a game changer.
  • ben_partouchben_partouch Member, csevp Posts: 124 PRO
    Amazing update. Thank you guys!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,930 PRO
    You shouldn't have to mess with dpi settings just to rotate a view. That's more for first person shooters where you want to be very fast when running, and very slow when aiming long distance. 

Personally I always have the dpi maxed out. 
  • JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 19 PRO
    G3 curvature is awesome. Now we just need Boundary surface to have this option as well. Can't wait :smile:

I've been waiting for colored curves so long, this would make part creation so much better and add more clarity in design process. Seeing the colored sketches, I knew it will be just a short time before we get the colored curves as well. Now it would be really cool to have in the appearance menu also an option to select thickness and type (dashed, dotted...) of curves.

• MisaelMisael Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Love them all!! Great update!
  • nader_al_khatibnader_al_khatib Member Posts: 2 EDU

When will a robust multi-assembly management system, free of "floating parts in space," be implemented in Onshape? This enhancement is crucial for professional and manageable workflows in large projects.

Currently, each assembly and sub-assembly should have its own couplings:

• Main Assembly: Couplings specific to this level.
    • Sub-assembly 2: Contains its own couplings.
    • Sub-assembly 1 of Sub-assembly 2: Also has its own couplings.

The practice of grouping couplings is neither professional nor manageable for large-scale projects. This is not a matter of familiarity with SolidWorks, Inventor, or other software—I have over a decade of experience with all of them. This method is a fundamental principle outlined in every mechanical engineering textbook. Alternatives are merely hobby-level workarounds, undermining the otherwise excellent work you have done.

Please prioritize the solution of this BUG (I would not call it a feature or else it's just a big conceptual error) 

• jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 61 PRO
    This is not feedback we have had previously (and navigation isn't something that should have changed in this release), can you please submit a ticket for this as we had intended the navigation to be the same as Onshape as much as possible. You mention that was only an example so it would be great to have tickets for other inconsistencies as well. There will be some areas where differences are necessary but this release should be much more consistent with how Onshape works.
    ok, will do more experiments and log the appropriate ticket - I'm sure others have the same experience where Render Studio doesn't quite feel like an Onshape native navigation and it has been that way from the very begining (speed is one of the difference but lag is also another one). Also having that "phantom" envelope displayed around the part when spining is weird and unecessary in my opinion, especially that it accentuates the lag between navigation and display, how about having no lag at all?
  • Nick_HolzemNick_Holzem Member Posts: 104 PRO
    The render studio layout is much improved! I agree with @jacques_spillmann @Paul_Arden; the speed at which the model rolls is very fast compared to an assembly or part studio, and the lag between visualizing the model through rolling is a huge pitfall. To be able to apply appearances and roll light across the model to check for surface imperfections is one of many of the tools we use to review our work. The combination of these of these 2 negatives sends most of our users to Keyshot to review. Combs, color map, stripes no doubt powerful, but real appearances are something else. 

Remove an appearance +1

Another nice to have; allowing saved selection sets so that is easier to apply and try different appearances. My assembly tree currently comes in out of order so I'm not able to use my organization there for this. Support number #351309