Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

OS Tessellation resolution

mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
So I want to get a sense of what a large assembly performance would be like on OS so I uploaded the Porsche Carrerra GT and it upload and translation is impressive. I have yet to do some modeling, but the first thing I notice is the low tessellation that is exhibited by OS (see attached image.) I've also made the model public so you can compare it for yourself. against the SW screen shot (also below.) I hope that the user can have control of this or OS can do it intelligently because when we get to swoopy, I'm going to need it to look better than this :-)

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62

Thanks for your feedback, Mark. 

The quality of tessellation you see in Onshape today was chosen to limit the download size of the display data, and to decrease load times.  There are different levels of tessellation in the system, and they are chosen automatically based on the complexity of the part studio being loaded or instanced in an assembly.

We realize that the relatively poor tessellation is an issue for large documents, and we have ideas on how to balance load time and quality.  Stay tuned!

• mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Has there been any progress on this recently? It is a big limitation and for me a "non-starter if OnS cannot handle moderate sizes assemblies graphically. Today I uploaded a 543 part assembly of a current project I'm working on via parasolid from SW and when I opened up in OnS this 14" high product's mechanism was terribly distorted (picture below.) I'm sure that you can up the res. but my concern is that OnShape will NOT BE SCALABLE for moderate to large assemblies - and/or performance will be greatly diminished.

Mark
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    That porsche looks like the Flintstones edition =)

I would also like to see some setting between coarse and fine - at least to have a decent image for customer if load times exceed flawless modeling. Or maybe similar system that Keyshot does (live rendering), if you let model stay in place it would get better and better. 
    //rami
  • onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    I get noticeable tessellation, too. While it hasn't been a dealbreaker for me yet, it does stick out from time to time.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We are working on ways to make our evaluation of tessellation/model complexity/rendering time more precise but ultimately we will need to have a global setting to allow you to set how much detail to performance you want and maybe increase the detail once modeling stops for a certain time or while you are in a sketch where referencing might need a better rendered  edges.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    @LouGallo
    that's what I was afraid would be the answer.. :-(

mark
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Mark Biasotti Afraid of?  We are working on ways to improve this across the board.  Approaching it from a number of directions, whether that means finding places that need more tessellation and increasing it (arcs, curved geometry) as well as smaller details (dense feature/area) will all be part of the approach.  Obviously we want to have a mix of performance/quality mixed in.  The global option is something that give a slider to this algorithm.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    lougallo said:
    We are working on ways to improve this across the board.  Approaching it from a number of directions, whether that means finding places that need more tessellation and increasing it (arcs, curved geometry) as well as smaller details (dense feature/area) will all be part of the approach.  Obviously we want to have a mix of performance/quality mixed in.  The global option is something that give a slider to this algorithm.  
    Has there been any progress on this particular issue any updates that you can share?
  • diego_vazcollidiego_vazcolli Member Posts: 1
    I´m a product designer, and I work a lot with surfaces from nurbs modelers like rhino. To me, the tesselation issue is a huge problem and I really hope the Onshape team can work around this soon.
  • Ryan_McClellandRyan_McClelland Member Posts: 26 PRO
    Anyone know what the resolution of this issue is? No pun intended. When I zoom in on large assemblies, it looks terrible, and there is no easy way to improve.