Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Moving documents or sharing within user accounts

kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
That is a bit of a vague title, but let me explain.

OnShape users can set up a company account as well as a user account in the same user account (for example I have Kevin Quigley and Quigley Design). But I cannot see a way to move documents from the Kevin Quigley "space" into the Quigley Design "space". Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited February 2015
    No.  You can add them to a company on creation and we are working on adding more capabilities as part of our plans.

UPDATE: This is now possible in 1.16 build.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    edited January 2015
    @KevinQuigley‌
    Can you say some more about why you want to "move documents" to another space? Maybe give me a little background about the problem you are trying to solve?  As @LouGallo‌mentioned, we are working on that topic now and your thoughts will really help.  Thanks in advance.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @SteveHess What about the situation where a company gets purchased by another company and both are Onshape users...
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited January 2015
    I have had the headache of merging custom properties. Hopefully we can get a list a properties that cover most users without having to add to many custom properties which don't transfer between companies easily. If I can just change the drawing title block no copy of properties I'd be happy when moving files between company.

I am assuming here that files will be assigned to 1 company only but can be moved from one to another. I am sure there is still some nutting out to be done here. 

I have two company's setup so far to play with. Bruce Bartlett Design (I will used this for subcontract design) and AgGear a component business I am looking at starting up in here I have structured of part number listing based on a 5 digit number, I plan to drop all my parts into one section for this company.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Steve, lots of situations as well as the ones the guys have suggested above....

personal files vs private company files
    ability to share entire "companies" with other employees whilst keeping some secret projects under wraps...

the long and the short of it is we need better project management control. Currently it is too document based, and eventually when you get the ability to reference documents this will become essential. What we have now is like Dropbox for individual files and no way to structure the files other than a list. I'm hoping this is the next big update feature.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Peter @KevinQuigley & @Bruce

We have discussed the "purchased company" scenario internally and I agree that's a real use case we must be able to deal with (and we will); but I was thinking more about day-to-day examples.  

Question: Are any of you doing contract design where the CAD model is the deliverable?

It sounds like Bruce is working with companies; there are limitations to what we have now but we do plan to support the scenario you describe.  Stay tuned for more on companies & organizations.

• Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @SteveHess I do contract design. In most of my work the IP goes to the client. Rarely but sometimes this involves encrypted transfer and a drive wipe on my side. The client definitely gets a copy of all material on my drives at project end. Usually I'm working off their network drives anyway.

Some issues around confidentiality:
    * No one should have access to information they are not cleared for (principle of least privilege). It's common for interns, foreign students, and offshore workers to need to perform work on some subset of the project but not have access to the whole project. This compartmentalization is straight-forward with file directories and permissions; the student only has access to his sub-assembly, the team has access to everything, progress marches forward. I don't know how you guys intend to handle this in Onshape.

* Sometimes the fact that I am working for a company is part of the confidentiality agreement. This is an issue when I meet with clients from other companies. For instance I cannot have project subfolders for secret clients in the same place as regular clients because someone might see this over my shoulder during a meeting as I'm navigating to relevant files. Likewise, having Onshape workspaces with secret client names in them would be a no-no.

On the other side, collaboration dictates that I be able to give access to teams of people when I need it. As long as it's clear at all times who has what access to everything... it's all good.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    @Traveler Hauptman 
    Thanks for the details Traveler. We totally get the issue of confidentiality and that is and will continue to be central to our Share capabilities as they expand.  You will be able to grant permissions and access (even visibility) to people/groups at the atomic (part) or sub-assy level.  We have some work to do before that is available but that is the direction we are going.  Of course, since there are no files or directories in Onshape the entire governance model is enforced thru the single database rather than a combination of files & directory structure access control..... a much neater solution we believe.

Keep in mind that "access rights" in Onshape may take many forms and have many more controls than three 'modes' we have come to live with: none, read, and read-write.  More on that later......

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Aaron_Easton_NickovichAaron_Easton_Nickovich Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    What about using the same sub-assemblies from one document in another? I'd like to have a library document where I can keep a list of commonly used parts and then drag the ones I need into another document.

I don't know if this is really a good use of cross-document files but if I could use it in that way I might be the way I'd be using it.
  • Options
    @Aaron_Easton_Nickovich
    Stay tuned.....