Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

upto offset

mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
I find it almost amusing that up-to-offset is not an end condition in Extrude. I remember that this was one of the no. 1 differentiator over ProE in 1995 and a total delighter (time saver). I say amusing because while you've not included this very important end condition in the most basic and prolific modeling command, you went and added offset to the Replace feature :s.
Further compounding this is the fact that there is no offset surface capability (that I have found) which is what you really need to augment the lack of up-to-offset.

Mark

Comments

• joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    There is offset surface. In the Move Face command, one of the options is offset. Works on solids or surfaces.

This early access program is to help us sanity check what we have put in and left out. Hopefully we have enough capabilities to qualify as minimum set of functionality needed to be productive. but we will see as more feedback comes in...

Don't blink, since what you want may just show up sooner than you think. I am not saying this will. Point is you will not have to wait for the "next rev" anymore... we are going to be able to improve and respond to our needed improvements very rapidly.

So good feedback.

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    A technique that I have used is to make a copy of a part. On the copy, offset the faces that I want in the extrusion. Create the extrusion "up to surface"or "Next". Hide the copy. I should all hang together nicely when changes are made to the original geometry. OK.. is doesn't take the place of an "up to offset" but is does work.

/Scott
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Okay Scott and Joe - good to know the work around, but 1st I'd never would have looked to move face for it (offset surface) and 2nd that is a lot of steps to satisfy an end condition. What you should consider is just allow the extrude feature to accept close profile sketches or planar faces for surface > Extrude =0. Like another product that I'm think of that I spec'ed this behavior for :-)

Joe - are you saying that the move face command has an option to offset a face of the model and make it a detracted surface body? In other words, you have to have a surface to start with before you can use Move Face on it?
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Correct

you can only use the Move Face on existing geometry. The command will not create new geometry. You can do it in 2 steps by first using the copy command to copy the part or surface, and then use the move face.

But as you say move face is different than offset surface.

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Move face has an offset option that is a true offset of the selected geometry.
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
    So Joe, are you saying that you can copy a face/s of a part to create a new copied surface?
    The reason that I am harping on offset end condition is because it is such an important aspect of parametric machine modeling. You see, in machine design, tolerance is an immutable aspect that is required in your models. Offset allows the designer to build in tolerances that without them would not produce workable physical designs for either RP or whatever final manufacturing technique is used. The offset-up-to is just as important as the Sketch offset, which is often used for the same purpose. For instance, when designing a pin-in-slot for a mechanism interface, all three vectors (X and Y sketch offset profile, and Z offset end-condition) become critical tolerance aspect. In short, in machine design, especially mechanism design, very little geometry is line-to-line.

M

@joe_dunne

Don't blink, since what you want may just show up sooner than you think. 

Hi Joe, have blinked many times since this thread. Still no 
    unto offset in extrude...

Mark
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I find it very frustrating that up to face with offset end condition is not included, moving faces after the initial extrude or setting up offset planes before extrude is painful and unnecessary. I find I am constantly looking for up to face with offset end conditional even though I know it's not there. Hoping to see it included soon, will be used constantly by me when it is .  

Also upto Vertex is another handy one, I could also use up to vertex with with offset.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have earlier put IR in through feedback - so +1 here too 
    //rami
  • michael_lesliemichael_leslie Member, Mentor Posts: 21 ✭✭
    The up to offset from surface is such a nice tool. I know there are other ways to do this but I really miss it. 

Its a +1 from me as well. 
  • Forlorn_DesignerForlorn_Designer OS Professional Posts: 11 PRO
    I really could use a start from offset also. I am currently using a sketch to layout how a CAM and follower function together. These parts will be at different depths and it would be great to be able to start the extrusions at different offsets from the sketch plane.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Have you used the second direction an flip in the same direction as the first?  This will do a similar function as the offset from sketch start.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Wouter_Van_GoeyWouter_Van_Goey Member Posts: 2
    lougallo said:
    Have you used the second direction an flip in the same direction as the first?  This will do a similar function as the offset from sketch start.

Thank you so much for this!! Kind of counter intuitive if you ask me but now I know! :smiley: