Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Apple iOS

mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Product Feedback
Does Onshape plan on supporting Mac iOS (i.e. iPad, iPhone) for initial release? (technical issue?)

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    It was running on my nexus7 tablet, it told me it was unsupported but it still worked for viewing.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2014
    @mbiasotti‌ All platforms are planned on working in the near term. Both iOS and Android are in development and details on exact dates for release are not yet fully defined.

@bill‌ It runs on my Nexus 7 in Chrome Beta if I enable the WebGL flags (chrome://flags) but since we have not yet implemented touch via the web UI, there is no controllable rotation. I have a Chromebook Pixel (touchscreen) which works amazing on OS but the touch is not recognized yet in the 3D viewport.

Believe me, I am making them aware of these interfaces as well but "any device, anywhere" is our goal! ~Lou
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    iOS is looking pretty good. I actually competed in a modelling challenge -- one team using iOS vs. another using web browser. Web team won -- but it was close!

Show of hands: how many of you think you and/or your colleagues would use and value Onshape iOS and/or Android on your phone and/or tablet?
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited August 2014
    I think Onshape on iPad would be massively useful. Especially for remote design reviews.
    Currently I use eDrawings Pro on my iPad for this, but then:
    1) I have to export to eDrawings format.
    2) I put the eDrawing files on my iPad.
    3) I'm only able to view design data.

With Onshape I would be able to view, make branches, iterate designs...
    A tablet is simply a fantastic device for collaboration in a meeting. You can tweak a model, then pass it to someone else, so he/she can review your proposal or propose an idea of his/her own...
    Ypu can't do that easily with a notebook or keyboard & mouse.

Dries
    edited August 2014
    I think Onshape on iPad would be massively useful. Especially for remote design reviews.
    Currently I use eDrawings Pro on my iPad for this, but then:
    1) I have to export to eDrawings format.
    2) I put the eDrawing files on my iPad.
    3) I'm only able to view design data.

With Onshape I would be able to view, make branches, iterate designs...
    A tablet is simply a fantastic device for collaboration. You can tweak a model, then pass it to someone else, so he/she can review your proposal or propose an idea of his/her own...
    You can't do that easily with a notebook or keyboard & mouse.

Dries
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Well Im interacting right now with fingers on an ipad! So yes, definitely.
    It also looks like Apple are increasing the screen size with the new ipads (and how I wish for a proper pressure sensitive stylus-Apple just buy Wacom please). We currently use ipads for note taking, sketching, eDrawings (Dries, just use Dropbox with EDrawings then it loads to the ipad automatically) but no proper 3D editing. There is a big opportunity there I think.
    For iOS:
    Is this going to be a lightweight app to interface to Onshape?

Dries
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    iOS will be an app with full CAD functionality. It is not just a viewer. Since it is an app, there is a modest install, however all of the CAD heavy lifting is on server, allowing everything from viewing to full on feature and assembly modeling.

/Scott
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    I would be great to pick up my iPad and continue or change my work in OS. A definite yes! - although other devices (android) my prove to have better touch interaction. When will iOS support higher res touch input - will it ever happen?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I didn't think tablet/phone was important until I found myself using my tablet looking at my design.

I can't currently do it using old technology, and therefore didn't think it was important, but the future.......

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited August 2014
    Absolutely I would use this. So my hand is up Jon....
    In a 'Mister Carter, Mister Carter, Mister Carter.....' kinda way
    edited September 2014
    Thanks all for your feedback and endorsement of our vision here. It's been a labor of love for several of our team (Ram, Daniel and many others). Since we have started our vision has been: everyone on the design team, working together with CAD, any device, anytime, anywhere. Like Scott said -- full CAD system on iOS -- not a viewer. We will try to get it in your hands as soon as we can. One more thing: it runs on iPhone too -- whole 3D CAD product.

PS - Ben: I believe it's Mr. *Kotter*. But I get the idea.
  • Jim_AndersJim_Anders Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I am curious about the iPad/iOS interface.  To date (as I see it) one of the challenges with highly interactive drawing/CAD applications is what I call the PPF (Porky Pig Finger) problem. It's hard to interact with the screen when one's fingers obscure the intended targets.

Not only does the finger cover a radius of dozens of pixels the area of interest is often centered under the touch circle.

I've always thought this would be something that Apple should ideally address but my protestations have gone unanswered.  Since there will be an Onsite app, are there any plans or thoughts to provide a more accurate and precise touch screen interface?

-Jim
    Yup!  @RamVangapalli‌ and others on our team have created some interesting ways to try to solve these problems.  You will be the real judge, but so far so good.  Coming soon...