Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Delete imported stp Files

shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
I've imported a bunch of stp files and now have them in part studios.  which is fine for now.  Can I delete the original imported .stp tab?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    RightMouseButton at the STP tab and then "Delete" in the context menu.
  • shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    hakro said:
    RightMouseButton at the STP tab and then "Delete" in the context menu.
    I know how, but is it safe to?  will it do anythng to my part studio file?  Will I lose some sort of geometry?
  • kurt_bechthold298kurt_bechthold298 Member Posts: 2
    I've done this twice (delete the STP tab) and it DOES delete the created part.  Can someone provide better direction?  FYI...it even tells me it is going to delete the part.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @kurt_bechthold298
    Currently, with the update imported files improvement, it will delete the created part. There is currently no workaround.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @kurt_bechthold298 - it didn't delete the part when this post was first created, but now it does. This is because there is now a link between the imported file and the Part Studio for update purposes (i.e. get a new version of the imported part, re-import and the Part Studio will update).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • kurt_bechthold298kurt_bechthold298 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for the feedback!

For what it's worth, and I might be in the minority, I'd prefer it wasn't linked, or at least had a choice to link or not.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    FWIW, the other thing we changed when we changed how this works is that all the imports are shuttled off into the "CAD Imports" folder of the document, so they are somewhat hidden and no longer sit annoyingly at the root tab level.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • ismat_jahanismat_jahan Member Posts: 25
    NeilCooke said:
    @kurt_bechthold298 - it didn't delete the part when this post was first created, but now it does. This is because there is now a link between the imported file and the Part Studio for update purposes (i.e. get a new version of the imported part, re-import and the Part Studio will update).

Hello! I have been trying to re-import & regenerate the deleted imported part I accidentally deleted but no the newer imported file opens a new part studio doesn't link with the one I need to. What should I do? please suggestion...
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310