Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rotate (transform) sketch by a small angle - impossible?

øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Using Onshape
When trying to rotate sketch entities (using the transform sketch tool), there seems to be a rather large step angle that the manipulator snaps to when I start a rotation, making it impossible to just rotate a very small amount. Rotating a bit more first, and then rotating back doesn't help, that same snapping angle is still there.

Is there a way to get rid of that annoying snapping action? Ideally there should have been a numeric input to this function, but unfortunately there isn't. At least not yet.

I can't use the circular pattern workaround either, since the entity I want to rotate is a spline...

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    David_CADSessionsDavid_CADSessions Member Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    I second that, would be a very useful feature for sketches. I know for transforming bodies there is a numeric input of angle.

The following workaround might work depending on the shape of your spline:
    1. Create Offset of spline (say .25") and cap the ends off with 2 lines.
    2. Extrude closed contour sketch of spline.
    3. Now you can Transform > Rotate new body with numeric input angle.
    4. Hide/delete old part.
    5. Isolate the new spline with new Sketch > Use

Check out my Onshape tutorials  :)

• Options
    Thanks for the suggested workaround. It is possible to get around the issue by doing that, so I guess that's what I'll end up with. However, I'm not accepting this as an answer, at least not yet. I'd like to know why Onshape couldn't at least allow small rotations with the triad manipulator. That annoying snapping to some fixed angle is a pain.
  • Options
    jacob_luetkemeyerjacob_luetkemeyer Member Posts: 8
    I also agree. Sketch transform should have an input value for not only angles but also X and Y movement. 
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    After a coarse rotation can't you just add an angular dimension to part of your geometry to fine tune the angle you desire?
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I totally agree that sketch transform tool should have numeric inputs and possibility to drag & snap to existing geometry.

As a workaround, can you draw reference line(s) and constraint with spline, then use angle dimension between plane & reference line to fix angle?
    //rami
  • Options
    Well, there are several possible workarounds to this, but the question was if the snapping action could be disabled, which it cannot. A numeric input would of course be the ideal solution, and I really hope we can have that soon.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @lougallo Can you create improvement ticket for us?
    //rami
  • Options
    victor_mendoza099victor_mendoza099 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    A must have!
    When transforming (moving, scaling, rotating, mirroring) it is necessary to have very precise control.  It is necessary to have numeric input as an option.
  • Options
    I noticed that myself also, but nevertheless I've now marked your reply as an answer to the question.  :-)