Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Would you use shade parts by Status?

matt_hardmanmatt_hardman Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
What if you could shade your assembly with a colour tag that conveys the part status? So you could define statuses such as:
  • In Work
  • Released
  • Out for Manufacture
  • Manufactured
  • Assembled
Which would each correspond to a different colour.
Maybe if you could also filter your view (say to see all items that are In Work +Released +Out for manufacture)

You could take the entire thing a step further and start assigning lead times to these items. A standard part that you've dropped in but not ordered yet could have a lead time as suggested by the supplier. Your items and parts you would have to assign lead-times to. You could then shade the model by lead-time.

I've wanted to do this quite a few times, and I think it would help me a lot. Would anyone else use this feature?

Comments

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    That sounds great. It would be a HUGE thing for me and some of my projects. Kinda a internet of things BOM. However I could see it being just as huge and hard to code in.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    My vote is for:
    • purchased parts
    • machined parts
    • waterjet parts
    • printed parts
    • purchased & modified parts
    I guess different people want different things tracked. We all want a method for grouping bodies and performing visual operations on them.

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Would liken this to SW and their assembly visualization or the ability to visually control parts based on their properties.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Honestly not sure what benefit offers over "standard" colour tagging? Problem is I look at those lists above and think not many are applicable to me. I personally think if you need this sort of feature you could set up custom colours/tags and apply these to a part.

Having said that I can see a case for being able to tag parts with other data for inclusion into standard processes for development under ISO standards for example.
  • matt_hardmanmatt_hardman Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    You can already do this?

You can always choose to colour your parts whatever colour you want obviously, but the way I tend to work is (eventually) to have parts coloured by either their paint/coating colour, or something that is representative of the material that they're made from.

What I'm referring to is a way of tagging parts with a property value, and then viewing your assembly shaded in colours according to that property. But it sounds like you actually can do that in SW? I'm from CATIA mostly, sorry about that.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Yep...SolidWorks is pretty good with that stuff :-)
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We will watch this discussion to see what the real full scope of this type of visualization feature would include before I start adding improvements. Keep the ideas coming!
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.