Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Changing display name

Todd_JostTodd_Jost Member Posts: 4
I'd really rather my email address not show up as my user name in the forum.  How do I change that?

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Go to cad.onshape.com and sign in. Click your name on top right corner and select 'Manage account'. There you have Forum Username.
    While your there, check also units in Settings tab.
    //rami
  • Options
    Todd_JostTodd_Jost Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I was trying to change it from within forums and wasn't finding a way to get there.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @3dcad Thanks for jumping on that!!
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Hmmm - when I follow @3dcad's instructions  to change my username from the (automatically reassigned) andrew_troup back to the original Andrew Troup, the forum software appears to accept it, but in fact it does not change.

Do I have to 'round-trip' through an unrelated name? Or is this a bug?

(I note there are other users, including three whose first name is Kevin, whose username is in the latter format, so it is clearly not a cast iron rule) 
  • Options
    By the way, I retried reinstating my username after following @3dcad 's excellent suggestion re deleting Chome's browser history in the thread "Google Chrome playing up re login password"

But it remains obstinately DOS-formed.
    or perhaps I should say, malformed  :)
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    @andrew_troupalso happened to me, originally my username forum was 3Dexter, then automatically changes to dexter3 and now 3Dexter is no longer accepted getting 3dexter!  :(
  • Options
    @Todd_Jost We do not show your email address.  As mentioned you can change your username in your Manage account options.  There is a bug we found that was a fix to the username unique field.  It is currently not allowing uppercase... We are working on fixing that.
  • Options
    Lou: is Onshape also planning on relaxing the (DOS-era) insistence on no spaces in new usernames? (Plenty of existing names have spaces, so presumably it's a discretionary rule ...)
  • Options
    @andrew_troup We did at first but it broke the abilty to have @ replies.  We have been told this is no longer the case but in our tests it is still the case.  Usernames/handles are commonly no spaces.  As we build up the Onshape profile, we will have ways of allowing viewing of your real name if you want to show that.