Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Bug or Feature

jason_bennett190jason_bennett190 Member, Developers Posts: 17
I noticed an odd behavior when drafting bodies with round tops:
  • If the neutral plane is under the top of the part, the height of the part shrinks.
  • If the neutral plane is over the top of the part, the height of the part increases.
When drafting bodies with flat tops:
  • If the neutral plane is under the top of the part, the height of the part stays the same.
  • If the neutral plane is over the top of the part, the height of the part stays the same.

I created an example drawing to demonstrate:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a0d7730bebc80b06f9a58ad7/w/5a5c07c1f9d5fa539240d4b9/e/974d27fb624aed5b9eaa28c1

In other CAD software, my experience is that draft does not change the height of the part.

I shared this directly with Onshape support via the drawing and their response is that "This is working as designed."

Pretty much all of the work that I do in CAD involves altering models for molding which includes lots of drafting. I can't think of any situation where I would want draft to adjust the height. Is having different draft behavior between flat and round tops really working as designed or is it a bug?
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hi @jason_bennett190 that is working as designed - if you were to draft the side faces and leave the top where it is your part would look like a lollipop so Onshape is adjusting the top to keep the faces tangent. If I remember correctly most CAD systems would turn it into a lollipop or fail. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jason_bennett190jason_bennett190 Member, Developers Posts: 17
    In spaceclaim:
    • Green original
    • Red drafted by plane below top
    • Blue drafted by plane above top
    For all of the height remains the same and the geometry of the rounded feature adjusts to maintain tangency.

You can look through the different versions in the link I shared above to see how draft application is inconsistent between a fully rounded top and any flat top (completely flat or flat with fillets).

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    There is an option to reapply fillets. This is not currently working as designed when the top round is a full round like you example. When resolved using that option will react in the way you are expecting. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Interesting - the result is what Parasolid gives us, so it will be the same in SolidWorks, NX, Solid Edge, plus many others. SpaceClaim uses ACIS - it would be interesting to see if other ACIS modellers give the same results - anybody?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI