Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Locking a part

lloyd_snelllloyd_snell Member Posts: 23 PRO
Is there any way to lock a part to prevent changes, accidental or otherwise? It would be nice to be able to lock a part. There is a State (In progress) in the edit properties tab, but there seems to be no method to change state. 

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    When you create a version of your document, all parts and assemblies are immutable - locked for eternity at that moment in time - you can also change version states to released as well. You could then link any part into a new document locked to a specific version.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Where is the control to change states to released?
  • Options
  • Options
    It is my understanding this just saves a version. I want lock the part, see on the left screen status? How does this change?

• Options
    If you want to lock the part so it doesn't change, the best thing to do is to either derive it into another Part Studio, or make a version of it and link it into another Document (using either Derive/Browse in Part Studio, or Insert/Browse in Assembly). Happy to explain further if you need it.
  • Options
    I would like to discuss further. Video conference on Monday?
  • Options
    I have derived the part to other part studio's. But, the part exist in a very active part development studio (Relational Parts Studio) where I have 30-40 part existing in the same space. Hundreds and hundreds of features. Trying to manage parts in this system is very difficult. So lets say of the forty parts in the Relational Parts Studio all have an individual part studio for machining, then there are multiple sub assembly tabs, then another 30 imported parts. Finally, there are another 40-50 drawings. Of which none of them can be grouped or condensed. It is relational chaos. I don't think I have your vision for part management figured out yet. Although, I am not sure there is one yet. 

• Options
    So now I versioned the Part Studio again for a different part being complete and all other referenced files need updated. Even though nothing has changed  with that part. What an odd system, that is very under explained and documented. 
  • Options
    AgersensAgersens Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Hi Guys, is there any update on this. What is the best way to release a part, lock it down, and force anyone who wants to change the part to take out a new revision. I am releasing multiple parts for injection moulding and we need proper version control, not derived parts. Thanks Steve
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Steve, you can use the history tree to make a version. Once a version has been made, when visiting the version (which will be in view only mode) you can still change the properties. Switch state to released and update property valves, ie. revision level of the part property so if you are using part linked properties on your drawings, your drawing templates will update only for this revision level.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited July 2017
    I can see the attraction of locking a part.  Say we're designing a product and some things are looking good but some decisions are still to be made.  We might wish to commit to ordering the long lead times components first, say by ordering a mold tool.  It'd be helpful to "lock" the part this tool will make so if a designer fiddles with something that has a knock on effect to this part then they get a warning "this change impacts on locked part xyz, do you wish to proceed?"

Just throwing ideas about.

OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Maybe 'move to subassembly' type of approach called 'move to new ps and derive' + tab versioning.

I still think document versions are too wide and cause problems on making too much stuff outdated even with minor change on single part.
    //rami
  • Options
    will_murphy587will_murphy587 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    So I am making a piston for my dad, and I want the Piston head to not move in my assembly so that it wont move when I move the connecting rod, but I have no idea how to lock it in place. 
    I am a novice at drafting, so could someone help me out?
    Thanks-Will

• Options
    will_murphy587will_murphy587 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Never mind that comment, I figured it out. For an assembly as simple as mine, I simply connected the top of the piston head to the origin, so that the piston head is locked, but the connecting rod can move freely, just like a real piston.