Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a way to create a 3D plane surface in Onshape?

Tallis_KirbyTallis_Kirby Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I need to draw a series of fabric roofs that are anchored at corners at different heights across their respective surfaces. I notice 3D planar drawing is an ongoing demand of Onshape users - as it is in practice. Has this need been resolved or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can create a plane using either 3 points or a line/point combo. Once you have a plane, sketching a planer surface is trivial. How you create the points/lines is up to you, but a series of 2D sketches placed on offset planes should do the trick.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2017
    If i have understood correctly, you are looking to create a planar surface (presumably bounded by a sketch).
    If that is the case - @NeilCooke wrote a custom feature to do this - i am sure he will post a link in a few minutes :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    ?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    I think the OP is asking for 3D sketches?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Yeah - its confusing - he said "3D" and "Planar" which are of course orthogonal!
    I thought he wanted a bounded planar surface and i know you had solved this.
    Lets see what he comes back with :) 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    carl_von_ayrescarl_von_ayres Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    If you are looking to do surface modeling [which it sounds to me] I would suggest watching the webinar below, its surprising how much surface modelling you can do using the surface extrude, surface loft, thicken, etc.

Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc14A-4mw30

• Options
    Hi Folks... Thank you all for getting back to me so quickly!

I didn't have my notifications set so I've only just noticed the discussion had grown.

Sorry if you used the wrong terminology (3D and Planar)- the end result concept of a fabric roof in tension hopefully helps. Each corner is at a different height, and each edge is curved in three dimensions- making it at the very least time consuming and complex to construct in CAD.

I am currently looking into using surface modelling (thank you carl_von_ayres for the webinar link). I will try and see if it works. 

• Options
    carl_von_ayrescarl_von_ayres Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Hi, I thought I would give this ago as its good practice for myself.  

Below is the link to the model which I assume is something similar to what you are after, the first is simple [you can set the heights individually], the second has a opening in the top and the third part starts to incorporate guide rails.

I am currently having problems matching the four sections up [so I can boolean them together],  I assume is due to how I based my sketches but someone with more knowledge of surface modelling could probably help you with this easily.
    Link:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2cae6b8bd07a88a2e2458fb0/w/997a68310515c46b08a51a8f/e/35e8da40a8b8977e1515184a 
  • Options
    Hi- quick correction: I meant to say "sorry if "I" used the wrong terminology"- no passive aggressive silliness intended-just careless typing... lol... 
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2017
    (2D sketch) * 2 = 3D?

With 2 2D sketches can I create any geometry any where? I think so. 

Compound sketch defined:
    -sketch on front plane defining 1 rotation

-sketch on this rotated face, rotation 2:

-sketch on this rotated face, rotation 3:

Add 3 translations:

That's 3 rotations & 3 translations. That's any where & any orientation.

So, instead of using one sketch to define geometry, use 2 sketches.

Look this is no substitution for a 3D sketch, but it does work and is fairly controllable.

• Options
    wayne_schaferwayne_schafer Member Posts: 3
    This might work but a 3D sketch tool would be a whole lot better for us that do a lot of tube bending with compound angles.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 696