Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Recommendations for simple In Context editing tutorial please?

SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
All I can find is the help, with ZERO diagrams, just words, and the Pedals video, which shows of what it can do but goes far too fast for me to learn anything.

So, is there a decent tutorial of this stuff somewhere?

It's noteable that this is a recurring theme with OnShape. Help is too simple and the videos are too fast! A classic case of letting the experts design the tutorials...

Cheers,
John

Best Answers

Answers

• Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    John,

This video helped me a lot.
    https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/suv670wfof?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=41042688&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8goBt4_tdXslPA0vWS2kUFYx9DmdfghrZHMdahQ1ISoptZkeSR0hTYr2CJjVpi7SPCFhFIdLdAM9Hn-iD6m1yPIMKDfA&_hsmi=41042688

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Cheers. but that's the dreaded Pedals video. It goes too fast for a beginner. Anything a bit less frantic?
    Thanks to you all. I'll be studying this.

Cheers,
    John
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    @john_mccurdy I find that judicious use of the pause button helped me to gain an awful lot from the pedal box video.
    I'm booked on the webinar tomorrow ,but I have a basic problem I cannot understand which I fear is going to leave me at the starting gate on the live Webinar.

The instructions above say move the geometry to the required position in the assembly, then use Edit in Context.

So I start with a basic assembly, a rectangular block with a hole in it, and a Pinball table paddle rotate mated to the hole.

First question - I cannot see how to rotate the paddle to a specified degree. changing the mate angle just rotates the mate, not the paddle.

Second question - after rotating the paddle a bit I right click on just the paddle and select Edit in Context.

I'm expecting to see the paddle in its rotated position in the block in the Edit Context window, but what I see is the whole block rotated to the angle I rotated the paddle to, with the paddle at the same angle - so aligned with the block, and another greyed out block a zero rotation.

This wasn't what I expected at all. I expected to see the positions the same as in the assembly ready for me to edit.

So obviously I haven't understood the first thing about Edit in Context. Can anyone explain what is going on?

And is there a better way to OnShape screenshots than screen grabbing, saving to file and importing file to the forum topic?

Cheers,
    John

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I believe you need to do your mates differently.  Fix the block, put limits of rotation on the Paddle to Block mate.  Next rotate the paddle against the limit so you have 'exact angle'.  When you go to edit in context you will have the block and paddle shown in proper position.

www.accuratepattern.com
    You may have to ask yourself what you want to achieve with in-context that you can't with part studios.

Well that's what I'm trying to learn. :)

>
    Fix the block, put limits of rotation on the Paddle to Block mate. 

The block was fixed, that's why I was surprised it moved in the Edit Context.

Anyway I think I have it sorted now, but its a shame I still have to set manual angles of rotation on mates instead of being able to have the paddle move up to a surface.
    I'm really not getting this. In the above tutorial it clearly says:

"To make edits in the Part Studio without using the context object, select None in the Assembly contexts dropdown. These edits will not be reflected in the Assembly; likewise, any new parts created while in a context without referencing points in the Assembly will not automatically inserted in the Assembly."

So I went to my part studio, made sure NONE was selected in the Context choice, then added chamfers to all three parts in the studio. Each and every chamfer was immediately shown in the assembly.

Why? I could not of followed the instructions more carefully.

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited January 2017
    John when working with a part studio which was created in context, the None simply gets rid of the ghost assembly which then allows editing as if it were a normally part studio. With or without the ghost assembly all changes to the parts will flow through to assemblies where they are used, the only thing I can think the video was trying to convey (without watching it yet) was that the ghost assembly does not update as parts change, it is locked at the snapshot of time it was inserted can only be changed by the Update context next to the drop down.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Cheers. but that's the dreaded Pedals video. It goes too fast for a beginner. Anything a bit less frantic?
    I agree, was looking for the 'shears' example somewhere?
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    viru said:
    @john_mccurdy, please refer below help document which will be helpful to you.

Modeling in Context

Setting a primary instance

The primary instance of the part in-context is created when you edit a part in-context and indicated by a solid arrow beside the Feature in the Part Studio and the Part in the Assembly list.

It appears to me that this is only available if you have used "Create Part Studio in Context". Right?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @rune_thorsen229 primary instance is required when you have made a reference to any in-context geometry (origin does not count) AND there is more than one instance of the part in the assembly. Onshape needs to know that if you edit in context, which instance of the part is referencing the in-context geometry. Sounds complicated, but it's not. Try it out.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    In-context is backwards and has always been that way. All parametric modelers suffer from this. It's something that happened in the beginning and was called "Designing in an assembly".

How do you design in an assembly when you don't have any parts?

It's confusing and always has been.

It's not Onshape's fault.

Onshape has made designing in part studios extremely simple. Master that first.

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @rune_thorsen229

We have a self paced course in our learning center for in-context if that interests you:
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/managed-in-context-design
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team