Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Ability to flatten a rolled part

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Community Support

Working in a sheet metal job shop we do have times where we need to get a flat for a rolled piece. Sometimes it just a radius we have to flatten or a full diameter. The goal is to get a proper flat pattern for the guys on the shop floor to work with. I need the ability to create a flat pattern for if it goes to the laser (the part has geometry to be cut in it) (laser gets a .dxf file for CAM use) or a flat bar that is rolled in to a ring ( the fabricator needs a length so that he/she does not cut too much material, saving cost).

Here is a link to the shapes I am referring to:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6d8dd61c55bb52c67c801026/w/70d3460e1114046d5a0674ca/e/db6f02daf81bd934801bdd4b

In the example I drew the OD with thickness but it would be nice to either just to draw the OD or ID sketch and in the dialog box set the material thickness.

For a tube cutting laser, I have used in the past, the CAM software requires a flat pattern of the pipe to program for it. You would think a 3D model would work here but for some reason CAM software like Tops400 requires a flat pattern. I found a lot of success in creating a flat pattern for this software, for straight length cuts of round, sq, and rectangle tubing/pipe, by creating a contour flange in the shape of the circle and leaving .005 degrees (or leaving a gap by the corner for sq/rec tube of .0005") of separation from the ends and setting the K factor to 1.000. 

This post is just to show there are multiple instances where you need to get a flat from the referenced shape. @NeilCooke@scott_harris what are your thoughts on this topic?

Have a great Sunday everyone

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Best Answer

Answers