Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How does one dimension an ellipse in drawings?

michael_mcewenmichael_mcewen OS Professional Posts: 77 PRO
In drawings,  I can use the "line to line" dimension tool on a section of the ellipse, but there are no points to drag dimensions on an ellipse in plan view.  I've tried every tool.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Best Answer

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    No I just don't use the vertical line at all. I showed that to show you it will extend beyond the geometry, giving you the 0.90" 

See the first post, where I used the 2 horizontal lines. When you mouse over the top of the ellipse you will see a diamond, representing the top quadrant of the arc.
    Then project that line horizontally to the left / right and click when you see the X appear near a dotted line.

I don't have video recording software installed at work, so best I can to is type it out

Answers