Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Feature requests: Variable name niceties

jeff_streetjeff_street Member Posts: 8
  1. Auto-complete (e.g. in entry field for sketch dimensions)
  2. Auto-Propogate name changes through existing instances (e.g. if it becomes necessary to change a variable name, it's currently necessary to manually replace every instance of the the old name with the new name).

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Jeff,

Both of these would be very useful, can you make an Improvement Request from the menu on the right side of this page? -->

p.s. #2 is often called 'Refactoring a variable name' when programming.  Definitely a good feature request.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    jeff_streetjeff_street Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2017
    Found autocomplete in the improvement requests section too. Added comments there. Feel free to delete this post.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my ideal parametric cad (which exist only in my imagination) variables is just a part of high level programming language (like Python or Wolfram Language) which accompanies the design process. That high level programming invironment should allow advanced algebraic operation, generation of equation-defined curves, surfaces, volumes, generation of tables, refferencing and assignment of feature and sketch parameters and other document properties. One may say that Feature Script allows something from what was described, but for me it is a bit complicated and saturated syntactic peculiarities.

• Options
    thomas_miglincithomas_miglinci Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    I would also like to have a way of easy editing/adding of variables - the available dialog is okay for a small amount, but if you are going to have many variables it is a pain in the a...

• Options
    brett_suttonbrett_sutton Member Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    Adding a variable whilst in a sketch would also be rather handy. I'm forever having to exit the sketch to add another variable. Given that sketches is where you use variables most often it seems like we should have the option here.