Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Modeling internal O-Ring Groove

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
If this were a cylindrical part, I would use the rotate feature but it's a block with a large number of holes each requiring an internal O-Ring groove.  At the moment all I can think of is to model a "tool" in the form of a disk and then use Boolean subtract which seems fussy.  Is there a easier way to do this?  
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited April 2017
    Do you want a fake groove or a dovetail ?

Either way I would use the sweep tool and sweep along the path you want

On second thought... Is this groove on the flat face or the internal hole ?
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I think a tool body with boolean is one of the best solutions, you can position it with transform and all the geometry will have one source to modify. only custom feature script might be better
  • Options
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov 's right, feature script may be best if it's the internal o-rings

I haven't used this but it appears to be what you are looking for
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58d064383d98a90f86ea0a03/w/3271372ad9fdffb291eb4d91/e/913be26cf5ef20ae413c7c38

• Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    John McClary - Its an internal O-Ring groove.  The O-Ring Feature Script is cool - thanks - and I'll use it for placing O-rings but it doesn't create the groove.
  • Options
    Ok good to know, It looked like it did in the description :(
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I suppose creating a groove is similar task that creating an o-ring. Why not add it into feature..?

Otherwise, +1 for tool & boolean
    //rami