Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing and Translating CAD data

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
We are working on the workflows of importing various CAD file formats into Onshape easy. You can do this from the Documents page but you can also import data into tabs inside of an existing Onshape document. The process is the same for files you want to download.

In Onshape there is a translation engine you can access by right clicking on the tab and selecting Translate... Here is a quick step by step to upload and translate a SolidWorks file.
  1. Click the "+" button in the lower left corner inside a document and select "Upload".
  2. Select the SolidWorks file from your local drive.
  3. Click Open. This will show a new tab with the SolidWorks icon in it.
  4. Right click on the tab and click "Translate..."
  5. A new tab will appear with the name of the file imported into Onshape. (the original tab will remain for storage and re-translation or download later)
This is a similar process for downloading in various types...
  1. Right click on the tab of an Onshape Part Studio or Assembly
  2. Click "Translate..."
  3. Select the type of file format to translate to (currently PARASOLID, ACIS. STEP, IGES)
  4. A new tab will be created for that file type
  5. Right click the newly created tab and select "Download"
Here is a quick overview..

**NOTE: There is an option to "Flatten uploaded assemblies as part studios" which will put all the parts into one part studio to avoid creating a number of tabs for each sub-assembly and parts.
Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    Adam_HaberlachAdam_Haberlach Member Posts: 1
    Hmm -- is there yet any support for importing other formats?  I'm particularly interested in importing outlines of generated gears, likely as a 2d vector, and then extruding them.  Alternately, anybody have any pointers to (hopefully free and online) tools for generating gears in Solidworks format?  Or does everyone just design their own?

Examples:
    http://hessmer.org/gears/InvoluteSpurGearBuilder.html

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hey @adam, that's a nice little program to generate gears, (I've got a similar part template with equations I use in Solidworks to build my gears). The issue I see here not having to revert to Soildworks or other 3d cad to import and export .dxf files. I work a lot with .dxf files and would like the ability to import .dxf or other form of 2d vector drawing straight to part studio sketches. I do required a dxf export more but hopfully that will at bear minimum it will come with drawing section, might be pushing it to get dxf's export straight from the part studio. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Adam Requests for DXF import has been growing.  I will create a ticket for you on that.  I can foresee more tools to assist in the creation of things like this.  Whether we do these tools natively or pave a way for anyone to build tools like this is part of the plan.  Short term, DXF import will probably be the path.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    adrian_9adrian_9 Member Posts: 5
    it would be great to import a DXF file then be able to deal with it as we do with a current sketch , so we can select parts to extrude