Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Configurations and Colors / Material

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 896 PRO
Anyone know a way to configure colors and material?

I want to be able to show the different part as a separate color because the parts look very similar.

material is a bonus at this point, but I'm sure it will be the same solution as color.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 271 PRO
    Accepted Answer
    @john_mcclary

I did not see this right away either - 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 896 PRO
    Accepted Answer
    Yea I went through that area, didn't see "Appearance" there.

Thanks
    edited January 12
    Sorry must have miss phrased that last post.

I didn't see appearance the first time i checked before posting the intitial question. I was looking for 'color' instead :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 1,475 PRO
    Guys, this is so well implemented and easy to use that I'm having a hard time justifying my salary.  Could you at least make it look complicated? :p

In all seriousness that is very well done.  I love that any company custom properties appear in the "configurable" list, that's outstanding.

Can I assume that at some time in the future we'll be able to configure one property based upon the value of another another?  (Say I have a custom property of "Production Line", and then want to automatically set the appearance based on that rather than an explicit value in a table?)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Production Engineer
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I am having a problem with assemblies though..

The colors and part names do not update in assemblies to match what is in the part studio
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 794
    @john_mcclary
    Please file a ticket and we'll take a look.
    Ilya Baran \ Director of FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    @john_mcclary
    Please file a ticket and we'll take a look.
    just did thanks
  • mbartlett21mbartlett21 Member Posts: 748 EDU
    I am having a problem with assemblies though..

The colors and part names do not update in assemblies to match what is in the part studio
    It does the same thing in the drawings with the part properties on the drawing.
    I have to right click, then select sheet properties and say that that part is the reference part.

• mbartlett21mbartlett21 Member Posts: 748 EDU
    Jason_S said:
    @mbartlett21
    Regarding the drawing issue:
    When making a drawing right now the sheet reference is set at the configuration that the sheet was created at and you cannot change it without fiddling with the sheet reference. This issue is known, is already fixed and will be available be in the next release. 
    Thanks.

When will it be released?

Also, when I go into sheet properties, the only reference I can update the reference to has the name from the old configuration.
  • Brandon_ChiouBrandon_Chiou Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Tangential to @owen_sparks ' comment: currently, it seems as if configured part properties must be manually assigned to permutations as set under the configurations tab. Is it possible to not have to do this manually?

In context: 
    I am looking to add color as a configuration input to avoid manually assigning specific colors to permutations of these two sets. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!