Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Getting OS properties into SW?

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
Any one figure out how to push the properties to SW from OS?

Answers

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    What do you mean by properties?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2018
    All those variables contained in a file that translators seem to miss.

I've looked at open BOM, Lou's google sheet app & writing my own stuff. Thinking I'll use Lou's app for starters. Maybe after that I'll write something that'll go full circle, there & back. 

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    @billy2 - extracting the data from Onshape using the API is easy enough - writing the data to a SW file is also easy, providing you have a current subscription and a Doc Mgr API key (https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2017/04/solidworks-document-manager-api-key/). It used to be freely available but they changed their policies to prevent non-paying third parties from accessing file properties (aka non-SW PDM products).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I've been reading up on javelins stuff looking for a solution. They seem to have some good ideas.

I'm trying not to write anything in VB or C# and may just cut'n paste to get back into SW. Also, all that licensing crap, what are they thinking? That just makes this little project more difficult. Do you know if I wrote a little macro that parses a file, it won't run with a license?

Pulling stuff out of OS is easy enough and putting it into a csv format so it'll paste into windows.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    @billy2 - correct, you need a current subscription (doc mgr license) to run your macro - they also scramble the file format every release so you can't use your previous doc mgr license (this is why it takes us a few months before we can import files from their current release).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    It would be also great to get properties form SW into Onshape, link to the parts
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977