Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move Documents and Folders

chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
I am trying to rationalize my documents by moving related documents into a common document.  What am I doing wrong? 

When I select "Move to", all I get is a Greyed out window, shown below:

I am trying to move the selected document (HM53GV BT30 Drawbars) into HM53GV Mods.

Best Answers

Answers

• kevin_guokevin_guo Onshape Employees Posts: 18
    chrisjh777, 

If by 'moving related documents into a common document' means you want to move part studios and assemblies from one document into another, then what you are looking for is the 'Move to document' dialog while inside an opened document. Open the document that you want to move, Right mouse click on each tab you want to move, pick 'Move to document' close to the bottom of the context menu, then select 'Other documents' and navigate to your common document. 

The dialog you posted here is designed to move document(s) to a folder.

Hope this helps.
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    @kevin_guo

Thanks for the help.  I moved all of the tabs, one at a time, to the desired destination. This worked except for the last remaining tab.  There was no choice to "Move" the tab. 

I ended up copying the very last tab to Clipboard and pasting into the desired destination.  This worked but I will have to go back and delete the original, so I don' have 2 copies.  A mate suggested that I insert a dummy tab, so I could move the last tab, but I haven't tried this yet.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I ran into this also, if you move a top level assembly that'll take all it's dependences, you can not leave a document without a tab. Funny, this seems to happen a lot. Create a part studio, then move the top assy. Then delete the document with the one part studio.

• chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    OK, Adding a dummy Part Studio allowed the last remaining Tab to be moved.  Thanks to all who helped me out on this.