Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Automated exports to workflows

Markku_LMarkku_L Member Posts: 32 PRO
Since many of us still needs to deliver pdf/dxf etc. for manufacturing, it would be nice to automate creation of those files (usually exporting drawing with certain settings). This could be nicely integrated to workflows.

For example, when drawing revision is approved (or set to certain status), pdf is automaticly created/updated. There could be options how to export...for example rules like: "export dxf only if drawing contains sheet named "DXF"". You could also define folder to export to. 

Idea could be expanded to the models as well, sometimes manufacturing wants to have step files for example...

This would save huge amount of manual work..

br
Markku
www.sloworks.fi
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    supporting this, convertation to exchange formats is such a dumb work. there could be some system of internal lables in project document which would define target export formats for all kind of entites that exist inside. though this again return us to the need of project management invironment
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    When I revision a document I would very much like the option to download a set of STL files for all parts that I've set a "3DPrinted" property for, and a set of DXF files for faces tagged "CNC-me".

Or perhaps instead of download create a new tab in OS with the files so they're still accessable from anywhere in the world on any device.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Markku_L This is quite a custom request.  I would say this is like the IFTTT of Onshape where you have triggers and actions.  This would be much more than some export action but there are a number of things we are looking at in the future about how to automate workflows. I have moved this to product feedback for now as voting on such a request is not going to add much scope to what you are requesting. I can say that this is on our minds...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    It would be certainly nice to have up-to-date pdf of drawing living in Ons database accessible with static link (without access to other parts of document) and option to password protect. Same goes with dxf & others.

As drawings are meant to be printed, at least for me, the pdf should somehow live inside the drawing tab without appearing as separate document/file. Always up-to-date / according to created versions.

Dxf, Step etc. goes more into special needs and should be some sort of add-on. 
    //rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2018
    I’d love a static link to latest approved version, linking to a PDF,dxf, STL, etc. This would work well to keeping everything in Onshape rather than saving out, I haven’t yet got away from using PDF and dxfs saved to a folder elsewhre as deliverable. 

One problem with Onshape drawings are speed to load, PDF saved to Dropbox load heaps quicker than an Onshape drawing. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977