Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Large assemblies

kustaa_nyholm096kustaa_nyholm096 Member Posts: 6
I've been following the Marble Machine X saga on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zL8pRDxPck

and lately there came up  the discussion on Fusion 360 and  its inability to handle 'large' assemblies:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/fusion-360-unable-to-handle-quot-large-quot-assemblies/td-p/6701462

Since I'm not active (anymore) Onsape user I'm asking here out of curiosity what would be a 'large' assembly in Onshape and at which point it would be design road block.

cheers Kusti

Comments

• Options
    Interesting! No one has stepped forward to say "I've got performance issues with an assembly of N parts" or "I have an assembly of M parts and have not experienced problems". Surely there must be people who have large (what ever that is) assemblies, it cannot be that Onshape is used by just toy projects...
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I've seen OS staff demo assemblies of complete radial engines so I believe the limit is "quite a lot". 

Most of my assemblies are dinky so I can't comment more than that, but in the not too distant future I'll be modeling our factory...

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2018
    I think most of Onshape performance issues raise in part studios growing too big for fast regeneration, mainly because they are so handy that people create too much stuff in part studios that should actually be made of multiple part studios, sub-assemblies and main assembly.

3200 components with many duplicates is perfectly fine.

To be honest I haven't yet found limits of Onshape assembly, they have improved performance a lot after beta days though. I have found limits of single part studio and sketcher (using imported dwg). 

This assembly takes a bit to load but once ready it runs smoothly on pc and also on laptop. Samsung S6 usually ends up closing Onshape app.
    With $399 Chromebook it's usable but doesn't run very smoothly.

//rami
  • Options
    daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
    I've worked in a model with 8,600 part occurrences (1,815 unique) and it works well, not great, but usable in Onshape on desktop. On mobile (Galaxy S8+) it just crashes out the app.

At this point I definitely was hitting hardware limitations (~10GB ram utilisation and ~2GB GPU ram utilisation) that weren't related to Onshape, but purely hardware before I upgraded systems.

I do think once the assembly gets large, you need to closely monitor system utilisation and see if hardware is being maxed out.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    3dcad said:

@3dcad

How do you get this?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    daniel_cookdaniel_cook Member Posts: 48 PRO
    Ctrl-D

Same shortcut as a bookmark.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Just the sort of testimonials/feedback I was looking for.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Ctrl-D

Same shortcut as a bookmark.
    @daniel_cook

It is a bit annoying that it also adds a bookmark.

It is the same situation with the Ctrl+U shortcut for reporting a bug. It opens up the view-source page
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,422
    edited May 2018
    On Windows you have to press is twice (apparently). That’s one advantage of Mac having separate control and command keys. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    On Windows you have to press is twice (apparently).
    @NeilCooke

I don't have to press it twice. It does both actions
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    Check out the public documents and see for yourself.
    There are some pretty cool large assemblies you can find there and you can see how your hardware will handle it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d5c0c72cf8a49f59d60fb1b/w/a005335084f044cfae483209/e/089ef407bf5e40ac8ab5b6b4