Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Selcting mulitple entities/tools for the Split command or using surfaces with Boolean features.

clayton_ertleyclayton_ertley Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Product Feedback
With CAD in general I mostly design Rubik's puzzles among other mechanical things.

The way I do this is to use a revolve a sketch profile about the origin of the shape I am using. It requires an invariable use of 5-50 surface bodies. This can be extremely labor intensive as I am forced to do multiple split operations and that is made even harder by that face that I have to manually select the bodies to be split which get difficult as I progress( a standard 3x3x3 Rubik's 12 splits before it is completed). Currently in OnShape we can select multiple bodies to be split, but only one tool/plane/surface.

I have attached an image to display a simple version of my problem.

I am a Rhino and Solidworks user. Respectively you can use surfaces in Boolean operations and multiple surfaces AND bodies.

I feel like the development team already has a lot on their plate at the moment that makes me feel a little guilty, but I had to suggest this. Great work so far guys! As soon as I finish moving into my new place in the coming month or so I plan to pay for the pro account in order to help with your guys funding.

I wish you the best and thanks for reading my suggestion!

-Clay

Comments

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Maybe I'm missing something here but why not use one small cube and part pattern?
    //rami
  • Options
    I"m not completely sure I understand you. How would a small cube be any different the the one I have. I do a radial pattern around the appropriate axis to create the 6(in this case) surface profiles, but in order to actually make the individual pieces I end up doing 6 splits.
    In every other cad program I preform on 1 split operation.

Maybe you could elaborate on your suggestion?
  • Options
    //rami
  • Options
    I cannot do that because what I am making is MUCH MUCH more complicated than just blocks.

Here is the finished product(view and comment only):
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6a7c64af7a8c4b8e874512c5/w/f9551adca811463680078e88/e/8d37876fc9c64539a52db547

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Boy, that would be fun to send back in time, to haunt the dreams of a pre-CNC-era toolmaker.

I think they would have managed OK to machine up a prototype, but making female tooling, now THAT would have been a serious challenge.

Maybe doable on a manual Deckel, with ALL the bells and whistles...
  • Options
    I would never mill a twisty puzzle. 3d printing the whole puzzle or printing the master pieces then molding and casting.

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @andrew_troup ahh the good old days of toolmaking. The things the that could be made with a lathe, a pentagraph, a drill press, a chisel, a file and some elbow grease. All those skills will soon be a things of the past with 3d printing.

@clayton_ertley great suggestion on using multiple tools, add it in as feedback. I can see MOTW coming up with that doc (place that on as a prefix for @lougallo to see when choosing model of the week contestants). Its a very long feature, how do you go navigating it?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never mill a twisty puzzle. 3d printing the whole puzzle or printing the master pieces then molding and casting.
    Just as well you weren't designing them forty years ago, then !
  • Options
    @andrew_troup ahh the good old days of toolmaking. The things the that could be made with a lathe, a pentagraph, a drill press, a chisel, a file and some elbow grease. All those skills will soon be a things of the past with 3d printing.

@clayton_ertley great suggestion on using multiple tools, add it in as feedback. I can see MOTW coming up with that doc (place that on as a prefix for @lougallo to see when choosing model of the week contestants). Its a very long feature, how do you go navigating it?
    Do you mean navigating the long feature list? Well it Solidworks you can create new folder to help organize but with OnS I have just been making these for so long I have a pretty good idea where everything is. Building every puzzle in the same order helps. I was thinking of going for MOTW but I cannot decide between 3 puzzles that I have, though I guess for the more unfamiliar crowd, the standard 3x3x3 will be familiar to everyone.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes I meant feature list. I made a copy to do a roll back and see how each step was done. Nice job.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Yes I meant feature list. I made a copy to do a roll back and see how each step was done. Nice job.
    Thanks. If you like this stuff just wait until you become familiar with jumbling.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5283d704088a4043bf84dd0d/w/40d246ccad6e4cee8aa77bd5/e/4eab66addd4e4cdeaf8475c4

If you want to see what the jumbling part, this guy explains it well enough:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TagZmrnHmJQ

• Options
    Nice, I thought I was missing something on my simple approach but I'm glad now we know something of the inner workings of Rubik's cube :)
    //rami
  • Options
    christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Thanks for showing me how one can share their workspace! Simple as "Copy and Paste" the  browser link! Sweet!