Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Obtain Manufacturer's Models !

quentin_4quentin_4 Member Posts: 7

Hi All,

Recently I've make my company use Traceparts hosting solution for 3D models.
Indeed they propose nice features like a direct 3D viewer and many downloading formats available.
Also they do have a lot of manufacturer’s models available. They started with mechanical parts, then with electronics and now they are starting architecture models.
They are currently the Europe N°1 is this field and have a great international extension.

Do you think about implementing a kind a module (like it is done in Solidworks) to make Traceparts libraries available directly by Onshape?

I see it like a transparent implementation:

- You click on "manufacturer’s models"

- Somewhere appear the module.In a windows or maybe in the toolbar directly.

- You search your model, apply filters, use the classification...

-Once you found your component, a nice feature might be to import it with a simple drag and drop.

I've saw Traceparts as an Onshape's partner already, so maybe this topic have been already discusses ;)

A very good point is that you keep using only 1 interface. From user point of view, he never left 

++
Quentin

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for TraceParts TAB (or Import tab with Traceparts being one of many libraries)
    //rami
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We are working on many ways to get data into Onshape from outside sources, 3rd parties as well as other cloud storage.  This will come.  For the time being it will require two steps
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • bruce_bellbruce_bell Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering about OS adding this feature too.  I have used Space Claim and I thought they did a good job of integrating Traceparts into the their system. Re-use of standard parts is such a time saver.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    lougallo said:
    We are working on many ways to get data into Onshape from outside sources, 3rd parties as well as other cloud storage.  This will come.  For the time being it will require two steps
    Lew Merrick has uploaded comprehensive files for fasteners, bearings, aluminum and steel extrusions (I-beams and the like) plus a bunch of other stuff, all to standard specs, over on GrabCAD.  Judging from what I know of him they are all extremely thorough and well done.  The files are in GeoMagic format, but he may be agreeable to porting them over to Onshape format.