Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hide other parts

jean_lajean_la Member Posts: 2
Hi all,

I remember using "Hide other parts" on the right-click menu on a part and it seems to have disapear with the last OS update.
I first thought I may have dreamt of it but found in the help (https://cad.onshape.com/help/#contextmenusassembly.htm?TocPath=Modeling%20in%20Onshape|Assembly|_____9) that it used to exist.

Could this option come back please? It was very helpful to keep only some parts in an assembly containing a lot of parts.

Thanks a lot!

Jean

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 I miss that command also.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    +1 from my side also.If both option is available then it will helpful for user to perform hide and show operations.
     "Hide other" option should be available for parts, surfaces, sketches, mate-connectors and planes for hiding parts other than selected.
    and "Show all" option should be available for parts, surfaces, sketches, mate-connectors and planes depending on respective selected category.
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @jean_la This was recently replaced with "Hide All Parts".  

In the past if you wanted to hide all parts in a part studio, it was two steps, "Hide Other Parts" , then "Hide Part" to the part you were clicking on.

"Hide all parts" now makes this one step.

BTW, this is the same for Mate Connectors, Sketches, Mates, and Parts.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I realize that it was replaced but we would like both options.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We hear you.  We are working on a fix for that.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2015
    Yes both options please.

For me when working on parts the hide other is more useful than hide all. Now I will have to hide all then show parts.

I found that I was mainly looking for a hide all for mate connectors in the assembly.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Both would be good, they can be under hide submenu to avoid too many lines / growing of RMB menu.
    //rami
  • jean_lajean_la Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for taking that into account!

I don't really see the point of having a "Hide all parts" command (given that it will "pollute" the right-click menu) compared to a hide all for mates and mate connectors that are way more useful.
    Only to see all the mates or all the connectors? For me it doesn't seem of a great use, all the more if it's possible to do it in two steps with "Hide other parts".

Thanks again for the rebirth of "Hide other parts"!
  • juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    jean_la said:

I don't really see the point of having a "Hide all parts" command (given that it will "pollute" the right-click menu) compared to a hide all for mates and mate connectors that are way more useful
    I was thinking the same thing when I first saw "Hide all parts".  Am I missing something?  Just out of curiosity, when would there be a situation where I would want to "hide all parts" instead of "hide other parts"?  

I'd like to have "Hide other parts" and then have a "Show other parts" option when there is only one part visible.  Not sure if I explained that clearly.   
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often "Hide all Parts" in order to be able to see the sketches clearly, and to make sure I don't accidentally create constraints (from the sketch I'm working in) to solid edges or vertices.

Sometimes when trying to build a very robust model, particularly one which will be edited in future, it is important that sketches are constrained only to other sketches. Otherwise the model can easily become unmanageable with relatively minor changes.