Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Quoting forum posts with large graphics and animations, and/or lengthy passages of text

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to suggest that when quoting posts from earlier in the thread, the quote should preferably be edited, removing material which is not strictly being addressed in the new post.

Obviously animations are the worst culprit, but (partly because of the way answers, and best answers, already get repeated) threads sometimes end up with a lot of pastry and not much filling.

There are snags with editing quoted posts: it pays, for instance, to first stick some text after them and never delete it all, or you end up adding to the quote and lose access to the previous white space. Please ask if you strike other problems, I struggle at times but others have good answers.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU

I would like to suggest that when quoting posts from earlier in the thread, the quote should preferably be edited, removing material which is not strictly being addressed in the new post.

Right on!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1
    //rami
  • Options
    joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November 2015

don't quote like this:
    when quoting posts, the quote should be edited removing material is being addressed in the new post.
    p.s. you can enter html mode (post toolbar rightmost icon and reclaim your whitespace)
  • Options

p.s. you can enter html mode (post toolbar rightmost icon and reclaim your whitespace)
    Quote is placed between 'blockquote' -tags, all you need to do is add some letter after </blockquote> and switch back to wysiwyg editor (using same </> button).

Example of html view:
    <blockquote class="Quote">***Quote begins***
      <div><a target="_blank" rel="nofollow">joris_kofman</a> said:</div>
      <div><br>
    p.s. you can enter html mode (post toolbar rightmost icon and reclaim your whitespace)</div>
    </blockquote> ***Quote ends***
    Write something here to get white space back below quote

//rami
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't a world class CAD company be able to make quoting a bit easier for its users? ;)
  • Options
    Shhh - where @3dcad comes from, that IS easy!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

don't quote like this:
    when quoting posts, the quote should be edited removing material is being addressed in the new post.

Good point, @joris_kofman

I hesitated to teach people how to suck eggs more than I already was, but perhaps for once I said too little.

My personal antidote to what joris so trenchantly warns of above, is to try to remember to insert  " ......."  wherever I snip material from a quote.

Also: best to avoid snipping material in a way which defeats or alters the meaning or intent  
    (which I try, but of course this is no guarantee of success).

There's the old story about a book reviewer who wrote something like "This is a book which should not be tossed aside lightly"

He was quoted on the back cover of the second edition, but they did not see fit to include the next sentence from his original review, which had (supposedly) gone on to say:

"It should instead be thrown with great force!"
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Shhh - where @3dcad comes from, that IS easy!
    =)=)

Shouldn't a world class CAD company be able to make quoting a bit easier for its users? ;)
    If I have understood correctly that would be http://vanillaforums.org/
    I'm sure you wan't Onshape to concentrate on CAD development rather than forking forum software details for easier quoting..
    //rami
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    I'm sure you wan't Onshape to concentrate on CAD development rather than forking forum software details for easier quoting..
    I just wish a third party forum software provider had been selected who came* nearer to matching Onshape's own "top of class" attention to detail.

* (or could be persuaded to come) 

Particularly as a newbie, I found the forum software a bit of a struggle, and I still feel it is far short of a worthy "front end" or "reception area", even without considering the improvement request side of things.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I thought I would write a pseudo-answer so I could select it and stop the forum software pestering me to pick an answer when I wasn't intending to , nor did I post, an actual question (in the sense of asking something).

I'm sure I must have accidentally clicked on "Ask a Question" instead of "New Discussion", but once you do that and don't notice, is seems the die is cast. 
    But the forum software seems unlikely to let me pick one of MY posts as an answer to what is firmly convinced is MY question.  Sigh....

(ON EDIT) sure enough, one is not permitted to answer one's own questions.
    It occurs to me that in real life, that often happens, but some software is smarter than real life.
  • Options
    @andrew_troup I wrote comment about this some time ago, it is very annoying for the OP if discussion spreads into completely another area. Forum keeps reminding OP of choosing answers / informs about new answers. It would be better to begin new thread for new things but often one comment leads to another..
    //rami
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I stopped asking questions cause of this annoying feature
  • Options
    Using Onshape must be a breeze, for anyone smart enough to be able to properly use the forum  ;)
  • Options
    It could be a comic strip where 4 year old asks his father to model a new toy with Onshape and after an hour father asks his 4 year old to help with posting on forum =)

I stole the idea from strip where boy asked his father to change batteries to rc vehicle and father asked help for synchronizing tablet with phone..
    //rami
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I like to look at bright side of things, even though quoting is what it is:
    - we login with same credentials with cad (this is huge)
    - I haven't lost a single comment (draft is saved automatically) which is pretty common problem for many forums if you let it sit too long
    - I like the visual look, text is easy to read and unread threads show with different color
    - Text is automatically spellchecked (this function is good for us non-native-english-speakers)

In summary, I think all we need is clear list of fail points delivered to vanillaforums development and Onshape can concentrate on cad.
    Can you check this out @lougallo ?
    //rami