Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Quick straw pole - how are you using Onshape?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General
Hi

A quick 'straw pole' -
1. how many hours per week are you using Onshape, roughly?

2. And is it your main tool?

3. Also what sort of design work are you using it for?  
[EDIT: i.e. what sorts of things are you designing out of what sorts of materials?]

4. Why do you use it in preference to anything else?

5. Are you designing pretty well everything using parametric constraints?

6. What other 3D modelling/CAD packages do you use - or have you used?

7. Do you feel Onshape is mature enough yet to use as you main tool. But also I'm curious to know who's using it and why.

[EDIT:
8. And do you use the Free or Pro or Enterprise version?]

Many thanks

J

Comments

• daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    A quick 'straw pole' - how many hours per week are you using Onshape, roughly?
    And is it your main tool?
    1 to 18 hours a week

Also what sort of design work are you using it for?
    I am a secondary school teacher. We use Onshape CAD in my STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) classroom to build models that we can produce with our 3D printer. 
    Onshape with my 8 y.o daughter's geometry homework
    Inside my STEM classroom

Why do you use it in preference to anything else?
    Because its intuitive and professional-grade

And are you designing pretty well everything using parametric constraints?
    Learning to, yes

And what other 3D modelling/CAD packages do you use - or have you used?
    A bit of AutoCAD, Blender (not really CAD but 3D modelling) 

What I'm try to get it is partly whether Onshape is mature enough yet to use as you main tool. But also I'm curious to know who's using it and why.
    Check out their customer stories 

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited January 2016
    For shorter answers, I will take the liberty of numbering your questions:

1. 5-50

2. It is my main tool and will be my company main tool

3. Furniture (from sketching ideas to finished production models with real world functionality), Assembly instructions, Customer service, Construction, Production layout, Mechanical + other (just to name a few)

4. Not a single license problem (no matter what computer, where or how many multiple devices open simultaneously) **,
    Superior customer service,
    Easy to use,
    Fun to use,
    Get things done and
    NOT spending time on updating, solving server/file problems, making multiple copies and comparing which has the newest version (I create stuff using multiple computers on different platforms)

5. 99% + 50% and going up using variables

6. solid edge, solid works, alibre/geomagic + enough to stay away: inventor, solid face, sketchup and many low price 'promising' cads.

What I'm try to get it is partly whether Onshape is mature enough yet to use as you main tool. But also I'm curious to know who's using it and why.
    7. If currently available feature set is enough for getting your work done, I don't see any problems with this.

** Even when my payment info got outdated and license accidentally dropped to free plan - I was able to normally open models and inspect them. Then I fixed info and immediately got Pro license back - No need to contact local reseller nor send emails and wait for answers.
    //rami
  • john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Fascinating - thanks.

3dcad said:
    > 5. 99% + 50% and going up using variables

I don't understand. Could you clarify this?

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited January 2016
    1. 5-25

2. It is my main tool for my side project www.aggear.com.au. I still working with Solidworks in my day job but use onshape where I can.

3.  Metal fabrication, Machined Parts, Machine Design. 

• You can use it anywhere on any computer just need an internet connection, worst case I can still operate via a wireless hotspot to 3g at 3bars.
    • Advantage of cloud storage of files, I don't have to worry about copies and versions. 
    • Very easy to scale from a 1 man show to multiple, even hundreds of CAD users with minimal investment.
    • I don't need an expensive computer, my main computer for Onshape now is a 4 year old macbook I bought secondhand for $900, very nice screen graphic's but slow CPU speed for installed apps, run's Onshape like a dream in Chrome or Safari.
    • No install issues, don't have to worry about installing patches or update's and don't have to fight with the IT's guy to get these done. Don't even need an IT guy with Onshape. 
    • Full history, I can always go back to every state the model was in, recently was trying to solve a complicated mate problem which I knew I had  been working a few months earlier, I was able to find that state to see what mates I had used. history is there if needed
    • Release versions are locked down and can not be modified.
    • Assemblies are stable and have less mate issues
    • I can not only veiw but also edit on my mobile phone if need be.
    • Feature Innovation, Not just doing the features that other MCAD have but redoing them and at a better level, we  are seeing features introduces that are better than ones in Creo, Solidworks, Catia.  This my take on where we are are so far and I think once the app is fully featured it will take a lot a beating even with these high end expensive packages. 
    • Collaboration tools, taking advantage of working with others anywhere in the world hassle free.
    • Zero crashes, I had not a single issue with crashes throughout the whole BETA program, just a cleared out the chrome cache a few times when the system slowed and things seemed to come good. 
    • Best customer support experienced from any software company ever, 
    • Great community of users
    • responsiveness to customers requirements
    • open and honest relationship with customers
    • I could keep going but hope you get the picture

5. 90%

6.  SolidWorks (main use for last 12 years), Unigrahics, Cadkey, Idea's, Inventor, tried Fusion 360 for a week.

7. I am just missing sheetmetal from a modelling point of view,  still waiting for some more drawing improvements to be able to get drawings out to standard with speed. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    +1 for Bruce's no.4

my no.5 - variables were introduced recently and I'm using them a lot to drive the model. Instead of value, you add predefined #variablename in dimension dialog - these can replace the need for some constraints and are easily editable unlike constraints. The difficult thing with constraints is that there are usually so many of them that it is hard to find the correct one to remove.
    //rami
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a "free" user and my comments below summarize my current position:

Onshape Wish List

I’ve terminated my subscription with Solidworks and will remain with SW15 SP5 forever.  

I consider that I now own the Solidworks Company, lock stock and barrel, having invested around $20,000 AUD over the years.

I will continue with SW for the foreseeable future until Onshape catches up.  Right now I can produce G Code for my machines only via SW add in, HSMWorks, and a lot of hand coding.

I am now putting considerable effort into Onshape.  Yesterday I spent around 6 hours creating a relatively simple set of 3MT Tailstock rotating centres, parts, assemblies, and drawings.  This effort forced me to be critical.

Link to my project here:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/06030b3421f746aab46458d2/w/5bedb6b6132e4f5e9e40a3f4

My wish list below:

1.      Ordinate dimensions in drawings.

2.      Tangent Mate. (Essential in this project to get the bearing ball surface tangent to the conical bearing hole surfaces).  I ended up with revolute mates with an offset that approximated the ball tangency.

3.      Ability to directly insert bitmap images via copy and paste into drawings and drawing templates.

4.      Ability to add sheets into a drawing and create/insert a drawing of different parts or assemblies, thus minimizing the number of tabs with individual drawings.  For example, one of my customers insists in having a single drawing with multiple sheets containing all the drawings for a major project.  One of their drawings contained 57 sheets.

5.      Sheet Metal.

6.      Hole Callouts in drawings, just like Solidworks.

7.      Detail View of Section Views in Drawings.

8.      Auto population of routine data into relevant boxes in Title Blocks, like Part No, Title (Description), Mass, Material, Finish, etc.

9.      Ability to create custom materials and store them for later use.

10.   Ability to call common parts (such as fasteners) into assemblies from standard or user created libraries.

11.   Ability for text to follow a curve.

12.   Ability to use functions (like &Date, &Time, etc.) in drawings and drawing templates.  I prefer to distinguish my drawings with automatic dates and time stamps.

13.   Ability to change opacity of a part within an assembly, without having to return to the part studio, then back to the assembly.

14.   I noted that the isometric view in 4 view drawings does not come at the same scale as the other 3 drawings, so I have to manually change scale every time.

15.   Ability to dimension to the centre of a hole on a curved surface. Currently I have to add crude notes to be able to convey the dimension info to the end user.

16.   Ability to have 2 Tabs open in separate windows and displayed on 2 monitors. For example, I like to have the part open at the same time as its drawing, so I check if I have missed anything.

17.   CAM, CAM, CAM, especially simple 2 axis lathe capability.

I think Onshape is great and promote it enthusiastically to people who would never be able to afford or consider, the lowest cost CAD system.  One of the greatest benefits of Onshape, is that it empowers anyone (non-CAD trained) to become entrepreneurs and promotes individual creativity and idea sharing.

I concur wholeheartedly with Bruce's comments para 4.

Regards

Chris Humphris

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @chrisjh777
      Your # 16 is achievable. Open those tabs in different browser windows . 
  • Mitch_PricerMitch_Pricer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 27 PRO
    A quick 'straw pole' - 
    Between 12 and 16 hours a day.

2. And is it your main tool?
    Yes. My company has adapted Onshape as our primary modeling tool.

3. Also what sort of design work are you using it for?  
    [EDIT: i.e. what sorts of things are you designing out of what sorts of materials?]
    Everything ranging from 3D printers and other CNC machines to geometric sculptures, most to be printed out of ABS or PLA and its derivatives (woodfill ect.).

4. Why do you use it in preference to anything else?
    I prefer Onshape as it is able to run on any computer anywhere, not to mention my phone and iPad. Having the model constantly save is also a large reason I trust Onshape as my primary tool.

5. Are you designing pretty well everything using parametric constraints?
    Yes. That way models can be updated quickly by only changing the parameters I need with the rest updating automatically.

6. What other 3D modelling/CAD packages do you use - or have you used?
    I have used Solidworks, Fusion 360, and Inventor.

7. Do you feel Onshape is mature enough yet to use as you main tool. But also I'm curious to know who's using it and why.
    Yes. With the current tools available in Onshape and sound modeling practices, nearly every type of model feature is achievable. While it still has a ways to go before it can completely blow something like Solidworks out of the water for the general CAD technician, it has more than enough for 98% of anyone's professional needs at this point.

[EDIT:
    8. And do you use the Free or Pro or Enterprise version?]
    Pro.
  • john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

A quick 'straw pole' - 
    Between 12 and 16 hours a day.

...Per DAY - do you dream in Onshape too?     :o 

• Mitch_PricerMitch_Pricer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 27 PRO
    @john_smith077  I'm at a point where we are just about to launch my first 3D printer, so sleep is rare and Onshape is being abused.  B)
    @Mitch_Pricer  If you spend time sleeping, someone is already ahead of you in the morning =) Good luck on launch!
    //rami
  • stewart_allenstewart_allen Member, Developers Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Chris, have you had a chance to try Kiri:Moto ?

Onshape Wish List

• chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris, have you had a chance to try Kiri:Moto ?

Onshape Wish List

Just had a look at Kiri:moto.  Seems to be targeted towards 3D Printing and basic milling, but not lathe CAM.  I have milling covered with HSMXpress (Excellent Free Program)  but wish for a 2 Axis Lathe CAM program for a reasonable cost.  Most Lathe CAM programs are way out of my price range ($5K to $7K).  There is a large gap in the market which, sadly, no one seems motivated to fill :'(  
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Most Lathe CAM programs are way out of my price range ($5K to $7K).  There is a large gap in the market which, sadly, no one seems motivated to fill :'(  
    SprutCAM has modules for all sorts of CNC machining and fabricating, including turning and is pretty inexpensive when purchased from SprutCAMAmerica in the US. 

http://www.sprutcamamerica.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=software

No integration with Onshape though and the Russian roots can make it difficult to pick up, especially for a novice like me.

• steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Im using it in my HS classrooms.  
    Probably around 5 hours a week.
    Teaching it so students have a true parametric modeling tool. 
    We use the files for our 3-D printer and laser cutter.  We produce blueprints as part of our class project documentation deliverables.
    Being web-baased it gets around our schools crazy software policies.
    If/When students study engineering or design in college, they will be comfortable with parametric modeling.

~Steve Maietta