Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Organization of the feature tree?

OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
I've sort of resorted to making an empty sketch and using it as a separator....any one else have any cheats?
Any plans on at least a two node deep feature tree where you can organize .... collapse and expand?

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2016
    I organize by naming major sketches to help me know where I am in the feature tree. 

I find navigating tree to make changes is difficult and have been rmb clicking on geometry to locate features in tree.

This is different than my old patterns in other CAD systems where everything was tucked nicely into folders.

I've come to the conclusion that the feature tree in OS is going to be a huge list of build steps and searching it by scrolling is tedious. Rmb on the geometry and having the list move by editing to the correct location is working for me.

It's different, but it works fine once you adapt.

• Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    What I'm trying out now is to type the sketch name in all caps so it stands out a bit more.  I often leave the word "sketch" on the end also.
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @OpenR2 I do the same thing, except leave the sketch without a sketch plane so it fails and highlights red so it's easier to pickup with the eye.
  • Options
    florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Check and comment this discussion in the feature wish list: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/120/feature-manager-tree-wishlist

there red are some other ideas as well.
  • Options
    scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Hi Onshapers,

Thanks for this thread. I know I sound like a broken record on the forum, but the feature list is an area that we are working to enhance. A tip for those creating multiple parts in a single feature list (which is most people), you can filter the view of the list by the name of features, type of features or name of a part. For example if you wish to see all of the features contributing to a part named  "plate" type ":plate" into the filter. 

This is a way to greatly simplify the feature list, isolating just the features important to your workflow. I know this tip does not address the full list organization issues, but I hope it helps.

/Scott
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @scott_harris
    I haven't found myself using this feature even though I have been fully aware of it since it was included. I think it's too much typing for me, I have one hand on 3d mouse and another on mouse and I only touch keyboard for typing values. I would prefer dropdown or other quick buttons to show just sketches or so and if I type something into search it would be used as filter keyword when using quick buttons.

Currently I use graphic area RMB to find things.
    //rami
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    i like the red hack! I'm going to spend the next 30 minutes breaking some sketches! ;p
  • Options
    :part part1 is a great tip. That will really help. never ever saw the filter box.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I agree with 3dcad, please add a RMB to parts that reads "isolate tree" not typing ":part part1". I really don't want to have to type in a query, what is this windows 10? 

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Just another variant on the same problem.

How to find something in the tree?
    -name major sketches
    -hit keyboard shortcut "ctrl-f"
    -type in search query parameter
    -it highlights in the tree
    -won't scroll into view
    -simple scroll finds it quickly