Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Clamping mechanism - open for collaboration...

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited February 2015 in General
I thought this was an interesting idea for collaboration...

I'm looking for a clamping mechanism to fix a plate/panel to a steel panel radiator.
See below images as context.
The blue part is the plate to be fixed. The red parts are the clamps. The goal is to keep the blue plate in place when a force (represented by the yellow arrow) is exerted. No parts are allowed to stick out below the radiator panels.

Anyone knows a good, reliable, cheap mechanism?
Shoot me a message if you would like to collaborate. :)

Dries

Comments

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    How much heat is the radiator putting out?
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited February 2015
    Ben said:
    How much heat is the radiator putting out?
    Heat output (in Watt) depends on size, temperatures etc.
    In terms of temperatures, these radiators are usually operated at a max. T of 75°C.

Dries
    Ok let me think about this then. I have an idea on what materials I can use now. Any objection to plastic parts? 
    edited February 2015
    Ben said:
    Ok let me think about this then. I have an idea on what materials I can use now. Any objection to plastic parts? 
    OK, cool!
     Volumes will be pretty low. Not tens of thousands of units per year.
    So injection molding might be cost prohibitive if it can't be done in a soft tool.

Oh, and width of the clamping solution is limited to one 'channel' only (as is shown in the GIF).

Dries
    I am big on first looking for a off the shelf solution before I start designing. No promises but I'll have a look see. 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Dries-

Not sure I'll be able to contribute, but I would like to follow along.

Can you please share me:billc@rndengineering.com

This isn't a public document is it? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

edited February 2015
    bill said:
    Dries-

Not sure I'll be able to contribute, but I would like to follow along.

Can you please share me:billc@rndengineering.com

This isn't a public document is it? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

Shared!
    Bill, please make your own branch (or merge from mine into a new branch). And don't edit my branches! :)
    I still have some model cleaning and versioning to do on my branches...

Dries
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Will do captain!

bill said:
    Will do captain!

Hey, I'm following you!
    Way too cool...

Dries
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Dries
    I will build a branch if I get time, just for fun of course.
    babart77@gmail.com

Bruce

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Bruce said:
    @Dries
    I will build a branch if I get time, just for fun of course.
    babart77@gmail.com

Bruce

Sure, fun is always good. :)
    Shared!

Dries
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Dries,

Could you include me too?  I won't be much help on this one, but would like to tag along for the experience of using Onshape more in this manner.  I have an idea for another contraption that would be helpful to run in this manner...

Dries,

Could you include me too?  I won't be much help on this one, but would like to tag along for the experience of using Onshape more in this manner.  I have an idea for another contraption that would be helpful to run in this manner...

Hi Pete,

Shoot me your mail address.

Dries
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi Dries,

Still haven't had time to get something decent done in my branch. See how I go during the day, I'd love to jump in now but would be in trouble with the wife if the school lunches aren't packed.

I assumed the base plate is part of the jig, is that correct?

Bruce
    Hi @Bruce,

The base plate (blue part 'Plate') is what needs to be fixed onto the radiator. It is part of a larger assembly that I can't show for IP reasons. The clamping mechanism fastens the assembly onto the radiator.
    Does that answer your question? :*

Dries
    edited February 2015
    Added another idea, however struggling to get time. Idea was to try and get rid of the pins and roll the arms against the blue plate with some key in holes for positioning. Have to go to work now, so I left it a bit half baked.

I did find the sketcher was jumping around more that it use too. Almost felt like someone else was grabbing my lines and pulling them bit frustrating while try to work. I also think things are slower since the last update, is just me?